Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Steeped Uncracked Grains

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2006, 06:18 PM   #1
digdan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Steeped Uncracked Grains

I'm doing an extract brew (havn't brewed extract in a couple years) and of all things I forgot to crack the steeping grain.

This shouldn't be a problem because I'm not trying to extract the sugars... right?

Or did I just mess up my batch?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2006, 06:28 PM   #2
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I did it on my second batch. You just dont extract as much flavor and color as you would with cracked grain, but it will still work.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:37 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Yeah, I ended up with the same problem. I ordered some grains and didn't think to ask them to run them through the mill for me. I put them in a doubled up zip lock and pounded on em with a meat tenderizer but I'm sure at least half the grains stayed whole. I did end up with the desired color, but who knows how different it would have been if I split them properly.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 12-21-2006, 09:13 PM   #4
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I was thinking the same thing this morning as I was brewing. It looks like the grinder at my LHBS needs a little tighter adjustment because I had a large amount of whole grains.

The color and scent did seem to come out well, I turned down the heat and steeped them a little longer before bringing it all to a boil.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:17 AM   #5
hammerhead501
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
I was thinking the same thing this morning as I was brewing. It looks like the grinder at my LHBS needs a little tighter adjustment because I had a large amount of whole grains.

The color and scent did seem to come out well, I turned down the heat and steeped them a little longer before bringing it all to a boil.
Did your beer turn out alright? I just pulled a rookie mistake and steeped/mashe 3.75 lbs of uncracked grain in hopes of makeing a Bock.

Rookie....

Quick Reply