Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Steeped Uncracked Grains

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2006, 05:18 PM   #1
digdan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Steeped Uncracked Grains

I'm doing an extract brew (havn't brewed extract in a couple years) and of all things I forgot to crack the steeping grain.

This shouldn't be a problem because I'm not trying to extract the sugars... right?

Or did I just mess up my batch?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2006, 05:28 PM   #2
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I did it on my second batch. You just dont extract as much flavor and color as you would with cracked grain, but it will still work.

Old 12-21-2006, 06:37 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 914 Times on 609 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Yeah, I ended up with the same problem. I ordered some grains and didn't think to ask them to run them through the mill for me. I put them in a doubled up zip lock and pounded on em with a meat tenderizer but I'm sure at least half the grains stayed whole. I did end up with the desired color, but who knows how different it would have been if I split them properly.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 12-21-2006, 08:13 PM   #4
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I was thinking the same thing this morning as I was brewing. It looks like the grinder at my LHBS needs a little tighter adjustment because I had a large amount of whole grains.

The color and scent did seem to come out well, I turned down the heat and steeped them a little longer before bringing it all to a boil.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #5
hammerhead501
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
I was thinking the same thing this morning as I was brewing. It looks like the grinder at my LHBS needs a little tighter adjustment because I had a large amount of whole grains.

The color and scent did seem to come out well, I turned down the heat and steeped them a little longer before bringing it all to a boil.
Did your beer turn out alright? I just pulled a rookie mistake and steeped/mashe 3.75 lbs of uncracked grain in hopes of makeing a Bock.

Rookie....

Quick Reply