Steep Bl Patent for color?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawbossFogg

Reaction score
Howdy I'm into my boil of black IPA. 20% carafa III didn't really blacken enough. All I got is some crushed black patent. Think some steep time can give me color and not roast flavor?

I usually throw some black patent on top of the mash right before I sparge to make my black IPA- usually 5% of whatever my mash grain bill was. It gets really dark and extracts a tiny bit of roast.

If you're looking to add color now I'm not sure how that could be done. There is Sinamar extract that would probably be the best option, or you could steep the black patent in wort made from extract and add to fermenter so it doesn't get watered down- might become too roasty though depending on steep time and amount. Not sure I would just steep the black patent in the wort/secondary, might extract some astringency from the harsh grain. Hope this helps a bit

Thanks. As in the past I used about 5 debitterrd black, but this time I think it was more like 3% and it came out of the sparge brown. I ended up steeping in a bag black patent around knockout and it really did the trick. Flavor wise I was very happy w the wort not be roasted or astringent. I like your idea of adding before sparge I might try that. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

FYI the black patent at knockout roasted it just enough to knot call it black ipa, well its still good, but as I figured, a little roasty.

Try soaking the black patent in room temp water for 24-48 hours, strain out the grains, then use that water in your boil. You'll get the color, only a slight hint of the roastiness, and none of the astringency.

Thanks for the tip! I was actually getting on to update that the ale is a actually not roasted at all with this technique. My problem was throwing it on a line that had an imperial porter for 5 months. Swapped out the line and wallah black IPA. Thank god!
I have a hard time finding the right black malt. I use "debitterrd black" from mlhs but Williams doesn't carry Carafa 3 or black prinz.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I know I'm late to the party!!!! But have you tried taking the carafa III and grinding it to a powder and putting on the the top of the mash before you sparge. I have had great success with this method. Makes it nice and dark with very little roasted hardly noticeable!!!

Got this info from the boys on The Jamil Show!!!

Brew strong my friend!!!!

Back