Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Starter won't stop boiling over!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2009, 02:03 AM   #1
CharlosCarlies
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Default Starter won't stop boiling over!

So I'm doing my first starter as I type this. Everything started out fine until a few minutes into the boil when I look over in horror as foam spills all over my clean stove-top (gas btw). I switched over to a smaller burner and dropped it all the way down and it still is boiling over a little bit, but it's at least acceptable.

It's a 1200ml starter in a 2L Edelmeyer (sp?) flask. Should I just go with a bigger flask? Is there something I can add to the boil to keep it from boiling over?

On a semi-unrelated note, is it ok to immediately drop the hot flask into ice water or will it crack?

Thanks guys! I'm sure this will all work out, but as everything in homebrewing it seems like something HAS to go wrong the first time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2009, 02:23 AM   #2
nutcase
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlosCarlies View Post
So I'm doing my first starter as I type this. Everything started out fine until a few minutes into the boil when I look over in horror as foam spills all over my clean stove-top (gas btw). I switched over to a smaller burner and dropped it all the way down and it still is boiling over a little bit, but it's at least acceptable.

It's a 1200ml starter in a 2L Edelmeyer (sp?) flask. Should I just go with a bigger flask? Is there something I can add to the boil to keep it from boiling over?

On a semi-unrelated note, is it ok to immediately drop the hot flask into ice water or will it crack?

Thanks guys! I'm sure this will all work out, but as everything in homebrewing it seems like something HAS to go wrong the first time.

size of ur flask is fine. I've done the full 2 l starter in the 2L flask. You can add anti-foam drops. Its ok to put immediately and directly to cold water assuming its borocilicate (sp?). Any flask should be. Just dont immerse past the pt of the liquid in the flask

Old 04-17-2009, 03:08 AM   #3
uuurang
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

watch very closely or use fermcap-s, it will prevent any boil overs.

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:24 AM   #4
fifelee

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Buy anti-foam drops. I almost gave up on starters until I bought the drops.

Quick Reply