Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > starter with washed yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
amishland
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default starter with washed yeast

I recently made a 1L stater using 100g of wheat dry malt extract. per mr.malty

My recipe will be a 1.050 OG bavarian hefeweizen.

I harvested a few half pints of weistephan (sp?) yeast from my last batch using the wiki instructions. I chilled the starter wort, decanted two half pints (assume each jar had equivalent amount to a vile) of washed yeast and pitched it into my flask. I turned on the stirplate and it looks fantastic, it currently has an inch of froth on top and you cansee a great deal yeast spinning in suspension.

do you still want to use a starter with washed yeast?
how much is a good amount of washed yeast to make a starter with?
what should my starter look like?

thx

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2008, 07:43 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

According to the what I read somewhere yesterday, if you haven't chilled the washed yeast yet you don't need to make a starter...if it's been referigerated then you do.

(I just washed today and reserved an amount to pitch without a starter as per Mr Malty's amount.)

The rest went into the fridge...

I've had starters that just look like slurry with an off white amount on the bottom, were it fermented out over night. My last batch of starter was at high krauzen at pitching time, and man it took off fast.

Here's the link to the part of the yeast washing thread where he uses what would amount to les than half of a mason jar to make a starter with after decanting.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost...20&postcount=3

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-31-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
According to the what I read somewhere yesterday, if you haven't chilled the washed yeast yet you don't need to make a starter...if it's been referigerated then you do.
I think it depends on how much you have in your container of washed yeast. I just brewed a Kolsch that I used some washed yeast with. I had a quart size mason jar over half full with yeast from my last washing. I thought about a starter but decided not to, instead just let it warm up and pitched. That thing took off like a rocket!

I am about to wash the yeast from that fermentation, and think that this time I am going to split it into a few smaller jars so I can spread it out a little with some starters.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Old 05-31-2008, 07:59 PM   #4
amishland

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thx for the link and replies my yeast amount was just like the jar on the right of his post, maybe 1/8 of entire jar or less,
i however chose to pitch two decanted jars into my starter

I did have it refrigerated I washed the yeast 4 weeks ago.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:12 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathweed View Post
I

I am about to wash the yeast from that fermentation, and think that this time I am going to split it into a few smaller jars so I can spread it out a little with some starters.

I picked up some pint jars to do just that.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-31-2008, 09:05 PM   #6
wizardofza

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just used my washed Weihenstephan in a dunkel a couple weeks ago.

It was refrigerated and I used a starter. I probably could have stepped it up a bit too because it took about 12 hours to get going.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:38 PM   #7
amishland

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am slightly concerned about my starter, it has been 24 hours and it still has and inch of froth on the top. All of my past starters have had barely any froth and lots of chunks flying around. I will get a pic up here quick

Just wondering the froth means my yeast is real good or real bad?
And if I need to go pick up some fresh yeast or not for todays brew?

you can see how high the froth rose last night, it looks like I did not wash out all the trub and some stuck on the walls of my flask

Old 06-01-2008, 08:31 PM   #8
amishland

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

bump im pitching the starter into primary in 5 min

Old 06-02-2008, 10:11 PM   #9
nathan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

nothing will tell better than fermenting your batch with it and seeing how it goes!

Old 06-02-2008, 11:26 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

I was gone so I missed you "help post"

That is called "Pitching at High Krauzen."
Some say that is the best time to pitch a starter!

I'm sure it has taken off like a rocket.

Quick Reply