Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Starter tastes sour...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
gyoder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Starter tastes sour...

Hello all. I cultured some Bell's yeast from a bottle of two-hearted and have built it up to about 1500mLs using a stir plate and pressure canned starter wort in the last week. I let the yeast drop out of suspension and decanted some of the wort because I was planning on getting another starter going in a separate flask using the Bell's yeast. The entire ferment smelled great, but when I tasted the wort it had a sour twang to it. This is the first time I have ever tasted a starter made with my stir plate and wasn't sure if there could be another reason other than infection for the sour taste. Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I would expect the oxidized, un-hopped 'beer' to be rather foul tasting; RDWHAHB. In a volume as small as a starter, I suspect you're tasting a fair of yeast bite as well.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
BeerPressure
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah, dont taste the starter.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
gyoder
Recipes 

Thanks guys. Cracking a homebrew post-haste. Trying not to laugh at BeerPressure's reponse...

Old 01-08-2009, 06:53 PM   #5
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I would taste and smell the starter; however, expect it not to be very good. As long as the smell and taste don't make you want to vomit then your yeast is good to go!

Old 01-19-2009, 10:57 AM   #6
yemu
Recipes 

I agree, in general starter smells and tastes bad, especially if it's oxidized on a stirplate.

I once experienced the difference between the starter that smells bad and the one that smells so bad that it makes you puke ;-) It was the smell of cooked and rotten cabbage and corn with a high dose of stinking farts in it ;-)... I had no doubts it has to go down the drain.

Yesterday I pithed a starter that smelled "funky" - had a kind of yeasty acidic notes to it, but I decided to take a chance and pitched it. I'll see in a week.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 17

It's normal that unhopped starters taste sour. I always lightly hop mine to prevent that, since I do taste them to check for unusual flavors that might indicate stressed yeast or infections. Often, they are quite drinkable.
I was quite amazed at my WLP 500 starter that I tasted yesterday - it tasted like a smoked beer, although it was made with nothing but extra light DME and a few pellets of cascade hops.

Kegged: Porter, Scottish 80, Pils, Orange Blossom Mead

Old 01-19-2009, 05:01 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2775 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneXor View Post
It's normal that unhopped starters taste sour. I always lightly hop mine to prevent that, since I do taste them to check for unusual flavors that might indicate stressed yeast or infections. Often, they are quite drinkable.
I was quite amazed at my WLP 500 starter that I tasted yesterday - it tasted like a smoked beer, although it was made with nothing but extra light DME and a few pellets of cascade hops.
Yeah, that's the biggest thing to remember, when making a starter, and not taking Arcanexor's advice, you are making an unhopped beer...hops are a preservative to prevent them from going sour...and that will happen quite rapidly....The beer will go sour.

As long as it only smells to taste sour you are fine..if it smells like dirty rhino diapers rotting in the sun (autolysis...and you will know it,) or like solvents, chemicals, or some other nasty smell,all you have to do is decant off the bad beer and pitch the yeast. If it smells like the other things I described, then start over.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply