starter stepping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerthirty

big beers turn my gears
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made starters for my next brew and it took all the available DME I had. These are big starters for a Belgian Strong. I need to step them up and was wondering if they could be stepped with sugar and yeast nutrient. It seems that it would work since I'm just trying to build cell count and the beer will be decanted before adding to the wort so I'm not worried about off flavors .

Why not brew a 2.5 gallon Belgian Blonde or something, then use the cake from that? :D

I do all grain starters using the stovetop BIAB method, or if you have a small picnic cooler that works nicely as well.

How much base grain to get a 1/2 gallon starter? I'm out of DME, and need to get a starter going.

Thanks

Hugh, I just ran a quick calc through beersmith. 1.5 lbs of standard AM 2 row will make a one gallon starter at a SG of 1.041 with 75% eff. So 3/4 of a lb should get you 1/2 gallon. Grain absorbtion would be an additional .25 gallon for you. I think I calculated that correctly.

3/4 gallon water and 3/4 lb 2 row mashed 150F for 60 min it is then.

Thanks beerthirty. I appreciate the info.:mug:

post your SG of the starter if you can. I want to know if my calcs were correct.

O.G. = 1.034
I think the discrepancy could have been on my end, dunno.

I re-boiled the wort for 10 minutes and got it to 1.038. close enough for govmt work.

I'm thinking of mashing a couple of gallons of starter wort and freezing in .5 gallon portions for starters.

Again, thanks beerthirty.:mug:

O.G. = 1.034
I think the discrepancy could have been on my end, dunno.

I re-boiled the wort for 10 minutes and got it to 1.038. close enough for govmt work.

I'm thinking of mashing a couple of gallons of starter wort and freezing in .5 gallon portions for starters.

Again, thanks beerthirty.:mug:
I often just scale up the grain bill for a recipe (but not the hops!) by a gallon or so and remove the excess wort (before boiling) and freeze it (after diluting it to ~ 1.040) for starters. Since I'm doing everything for whatever batch it is I'm brewing anyway, it's no extra work.

I made starters for my next brew and it took all the available DME I had. These are big starters for a Belgian Strong. I need to step them up and was wondering if they could be stepped with sugar and yeast nutrient. It seems that it would work since I'm just trying to build cell count and the beer will be decanted before adding to the wort so I'm not worried about off flavors .

I don't see why this wouldn't work just fine. You are just trying to grow yeast, not make good beer. Even if you read that yeast culturing guide it say this will work fine other than the potential of osmotic shock. If you make a simple sugar solution of 1.040 or so and add the nutrient that yeast will grow. If you chill, decant, and then pitch into maltose solution the yeast will wake up and then use maltose instead. Yeast are smart little buggers, they are not going to starve when there is plenty of maltose and the environment is alcohol heavy.

Back