Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Starter not starting?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
hal simmons
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Starter not starting?

So I made my first starter last night with a Wyeast 1098 smack pack around 10:00 using these instructions:

- Use a 1/2 gallon growler
- Fill 1/2 full of water, then dump that water into a pot.
- Bring the water to a boil
- Remove from heat, add 1 cup of plain light DME
- Boil it, stirring, for about 15 minutes.
- Cover it and cool in an ice water bath
- Once cool, transfer it to the growler, and add the yeast
- Shake vigourously, then put an airlock on it

I smacked the pack and it expanded as it should. I pitched the yeast and shook it vigorously a few times before going to bed, but when I got up this morning it appears nothing has happened, except a layer of yeast cake on the bottom. It looked like the yeast had done some multiplying, but were sitting on the bottom. I've been swirling/shaking it ever hour or so this morning. The temps at night and this morning have been between 68-70 consistently.

The airlock is burping once every 5-6 seconds, but other than that, there are no visible signs of fermentation. No krausen, just a milky brown color, no skim on top, nothing.

Is this thing working or do I need to get some more yeast before brewing later today?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2008, 04:18 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4949 Times on 3585 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Sounds like it's working just fine! You don't typically get krausens with starters, and sometimes they ferment so fast that you miss it. You will get a nice supply of yeast on the bottom, though!

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 02-09-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
Gammon N Beer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal simmons
So I made my first starter last night with a Wyeast 1098 smack pack around 10:00 using these instructions:

- Use a 1/2 gallon growler
- Fill 1/2 full of water, then dump that water into a pot.
- Bring the water to a boil
- Remove from heat, add 1 cup of plain light DME
- Boil it, stirring, for about 15 minutes.
- Cover it and cool in an ice water bath
- Once cool, transfer it to the growler, and add the yeast
- Shake vigourously, then put an airlock on it

I smacked the pack and it expanded as it should. I pitched the yeast and shook it vigorously a few times before going to bed, but when I got up this morning it appears nothing has happened, except a layer of yeast cake on the bottom. It looked like the yeast had done some multiplying, but were sitting on the bottom. I've been swirling/shaking it ever hour or so this morning. The temps at night and this morning have been between 68-70 consistently.

The airlock is burping once every 5-6 seconds, but other than that, there are no visible signs of fermentation. No krausen, just a milky brown color, no skim on top, nothing.

Is this thing working or do I need to get some more yeast before brewing later today?

Ya, it is working. There is very little Krausen found in a starter.

BTW, you may want to replace the airlock with a loosely fitted piece of aluminum foil. That will allos some air in, but no crud.

Quick Reply