So I made my first starter last night with a Wyeast 1098 smack pack around 10:00 using these instructions:
- Use a 1/2 gallon growler
- Fill 1/2 full of water, then dump that water into a pot.
- Bring the water to a boil
- Remove from heat, add 1 cup of plain light DME
- Boil it, stirring, for about 15 minutes.
- Cover it and cool in an ice water bath
- Once cool, transfer it to the growler, and add the yeast
- Shake vigourously, then put an airlock on it
I smacked the pack and it expanded as it should. I pitched the yeast and shook it vigorously a few times before going to bed, but when I got up this morning it appears nothing has happened, except a layer of yeast cake on the bottom. It looked like the yeast had done some multiplying, but were sitting on the bottom. I've been swirling/shaking it ever hour or so this morning. The temps at night and this morning have been between 68-70 consistently.
The airlock is burping once every 5-6 seconds, but other than that, there are no visible signs of fermentation. No krausen, just a milky brown color, no skim on top, nothing.
Is this thing working or do I need to get some more yeast before brewing later today?