Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Starter Nightmare...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2007, 02:12 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Starter Nightmare...

I had a nice starter of hefe yeast sitting in my utility sink ready to be pitched on Friday. The wife gets home before me, and without looking at the sink, runs a load of laundry. Well, we have this screwed up little plumbing system there, where the trap that hooks into the main stack is really old and very clogged and I can't seem to fix it...so when the washing machine exhausts its dirty water, it backs up into the utility sink, because the sink is lower than the washer. It slowly drains, but the sink fills up halfway. Usually not a big deal, but when you come home to find your sweet, sweet starter floating sideways in a tub of nasty water, well...I wish I could have taken a picture of my face at that point.

Luckily, I had the starter split into two 1-gallon jugs, and one of them was sealed very tightly with a bung. The other opened when it tipped, so I dumped it, but the first one was okay....amazingly! It fermented the Stunkelweizen just fine, and smells/tastes great. But believe me, that is one sight you never wanna see.

I need to call roto-rooter post-haste, wouldn't you say?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply