Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Starsan Beer - Too much?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2014, 10:51 PM   #1
Setesh
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 245 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 283

Default Starsan Beer - Too much?

Well, I finally did it. I finally put Starsan in my beer. A lot of it too. I always fill a rubbermaid tub with 2.5 gallons of water and .5oz Starsan and use it to sanitize a lot of misc equipment instead of spraying it. Things like racking hoses, etc. Well, I had 15 minutes left in the boil so it was time to get this going. I filled up the tub and as I was squeezing the Starsan bottle to the 1/2 line the phone rang. I answered it and began talking, and while talking I walked over to the boil kettle and dumped the Starsan in!

Here are the stats:
Jamil's Flanders Red
7 gallons post boil
OG 1.055
.5oz Starsan

I tasted the wort and it definitely has a Starsan aftertaste, but after the yeast and bugs have had their turn I'm not sure I would be able to notice anything, and they may just use it for nutrients. What is your opinion? Should I run with it considering this is a beer that has to sit around for a year before it's ready?

An extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife.
Franklin P. Jones (1887-1929)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2014, 11:02 PM   #2
GenIke
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 92

undiluted star san? I would let it go just to see what happens. I wonder if it could make the wort too acidic for the yeast.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:02 PM   #3
Kee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I have no idea but it sounds like an interesting experiment.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:03 PM   #4
Setesh

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenIke View Post
undiluted star san? I would let it go just to see what happens. I wonder if it could make the wort too acidic for the yeast.
I'm not sure, I didn't think about taking a PH reading of the wort. I'll do that right now and post the results.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:04 PM   #5
sportpak
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm still pretty new at this, but I bet it'd come down to the overall pH of your wort. I'd be interested to see what someone else would say about it. I'd be scared an dump it personally.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:13 PM   #6
Setesh

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setesh View Post
I'm not sure, I didn't think about taking a PH reading of the wort. I'll do that right now and post the results.
PH of wort is 4.89, which is well above danger levels for cervesia. Just calibrated my meter so this should be accurate. Beer is at 76 degrees, want to get it down to 65 before I pitch. I would normally just let it go without even asking for opinions and report back in a month or two on what the finished beer tasted like, but this is going to have to age (read take up space) for a year, so if someone has experience with this much starsan in their beer then I would love to hear it!

Old 07-12-2014, 04:45 AM   #7
Setesh

Recipes 

Forgot to update this earlier today. I pitched at 11pm last night. I checked on it just after noon today and it was about to blow off. Fast start for 1 pack of S-05 and some La Roja dregs at 67F beer temp. I'll report back when primary fermentation is done and I give the beer a taste.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:27 PM   #8
drainbamage
It'll getcha drunk!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 275 Posts
Likes Given: 765

I saw a thread not too long ago where someone accidentally added a large amount of StarSan to their wort and emailed the company to ask what would happen. Between the dilution and the breakdown of the compounds, it won't be unsafe to drink. I don't remember if it affected fermentation in any way.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:39 PM   #9
invictusbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by drainbamage View Post
I saw a thread not too long ago where someone accidentally added a large amount of StarSan to their wort and emailed the company to ask what would happen. Between the dilution and the breakdown of the compounds, it won't be unsafe to drink. I don't remember if it affected fermentation in any way.
Yeah, I remember said thread as well. In all honesty I wouldn't worry about it too much, in theory it should be fine based on the manufacturer's (Five Star I believe) recommendation on similar problems. I would however follow Revvy's rules if it doesn't come out great to start and just hang on to until it does. I leave quite a bit of starsan in my fermenters, bottling bucket, bottles without any problems. While it does probably come in close to this number for a beer that goes through primary, secondary, bottling bucket and bottle, it's all diluted and I have no real way of measuring the exact amount I leave behind each time, so it's all a big guess, but with roughly 3 oz total in that equation, I wouldn't be surprised to learn I had ~1/4-1/2 oz Star San mixed in a batch.

Primary1: Edwort's Apfelwein
Primary2: None
Secondary 1: None
Secondary 2: None
Conditioning: The Beast Barleywine
Drinking: The Templar IIPA, Strawberry Blonde

On Deck: 30 Gal Electric Brewhouse! (We'll see how much SWMBO loves me after this "little" project)

Old 07-12-2014, 02:47 PM   #10
Setesh

Recipes 

Thanks everyone. I remember a podcast on the BN where the creator of Starsan told Justin he would have been fine after racking his beer into half a carboy full of Starsan, he thought it would effect head retention because of the surfactant in Starsan, and was unsure on flavor but said it was definitely safe to drink. He also said that the fermentation would have taken off like a shot from all the extra nutrients the Starsan breaks down into. I can at least attest to the last comment. This fermentation is raging. I added FermcapS to stop the blowoff, but this thing is rocking allong.

At least it will be a fun experiment if nothing else, but my hope is that whatever off flavor is present won't be noticeable in a Flanders Red after a year or more. I'm betting that's pretty likely.

Quick Reply