Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Star-San vs. Iodophor - FIGHT!
View Poll Results: Which Sanitizer
Star-San 1,057 65.94%
Iodophor 438 27.32%
Other 108 6.74%
Voters: 1603. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #221
Zoidberg
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Starsan is definitely a winner here and is what I'll be picking up. I've been using Easy clean but all my beer has been sub-par and I'm trying to eliminate possibilities and I think the lack of real sanitation is the problems.

Iodophor ultimate con:

It could potentially kill me since it is basically Iodine based from what I have read. I'm allergic to iodine, when they filled my blood with Iodine for a blood test I broke out all over and couldn't breath barely because of internal reactions to it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #222
Jackjama
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I use both. I use the idophor to sanitize vessels. Two cap fulls in a bucket that i use to sanitize everything during the brew or bottling days.
I could use starsan but it costs more.

I always have a spray bottle of starsan around for spraying around lids and such. I use distilled water to mix it giving it a very long shelf life.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:44 AM   #223
hoppyray
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Yes on Iodopher

Bump

Reason: correction
amandabab Likes This 
Old 03-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #224
uechikid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyray View Post
This is an old thread but screw star san. I have been using iodopher for 23 years and NEVER !!!!! had a problem. When these guys brew in plastic buckets and seach the web to copy everyones recipes and techniques all they know is what they are told. I've been a lager brewer forever and you had better not have sanitation problems. The Germans were always the best brewers IMHO. Six refrigerators in the garage brewing a lot of challenging beers I am not even going to try star san. 150 ribbons I don't see the need for starsan or any more ribbons. Just share with the neighbors and enjoy. I see friends using it but I can stand the foam even if you can't taste it. It doesn't belong in my beers !

Cheers to you !

Ray
WOOOW!!! Not sure what got you going. I can say that I have used both and don't really have a preference. Right now I'm using starsan but I used iodopher for about 15 years before making the change. They both work, they're both easy, I can go either way.. It's all good bro, have a beer.

"Carpe Diem"

Old 03-19-2013, 01:06 AM   #225
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Unless I'm missing something, I don't think Iodophor is cheaper. Its 1.25 ml / liter for iodophor. It's .64 ml / liter for starsan. That puts iodine at 2.3 cents per liter vs 2.1 cents per liter for StarSan. Since the iodophor loses potency within 24 hours, but the StarSan doesn't, you get more use out of a mix. I think at one time, when this thread started, it was cheaper. But the thread dates to 2006.

I even priced Iodophor in bulk at a farm supply store but it wasn't appreciably cheaper and one needed to buy a quart at a minimum.

1 oz / 5 gallon = .64 ml / liter for starsan. I usually make two liters for a 6 gallon carboy, use an insulin syringe or TB syringe which can precisely measure sub-1ml amounts, and put the amount in. The fact that the starsan has a surfactant in it to cling to the crevices, along with a 30 second contact time, saves a lot of time. I also mix it up in a spray bottle with distilled water. Tap water makes it really cloudy in a few hours, but I don't get any cloudiness with distilled.

But to keep the critters on their toes, I will occasionally sanitize with iodine every so often. Might not be any better, but I think of it in a microbiology sense. No starsan resistant microbes then. If that's even possible.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:44 AM   #226
scutiger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use both, it usually comes down to how I feel on a specific day. I like iodophor because I make up a solution on brew day and can spray down small pieces as I need to. Star san I like to use when I'm getting my carboys or kegs ready. I just don't know which I really prefer. They'e both good, and I've never had a problem with either, I also don't get bothered by the fact that iodine stains my equipment.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:10 AM   #227
dvb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I used to use Iodophor, but switched to Star San because it stains everything. Turns out, that is not the worst problem you can have. Star San tends to leave a slimy coating after extended soaking, which I find a wee bit more annoying than the staining.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #228
bethebrew
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by uechikid View Post
WOOOW!!! Not sure what got you going. I can say that I have used both and don't really have a preference. Right now I'm using starsan but I used iodopher for about 15 years before making the change. They both work, they're both easy, I can go either way.. It's all good bro, have a beer.
I fear the foam. I use the iodine, partly because the foam makes corks never stick. Slippery. Also unless mistaken iodine is good for you in minimal amounts. Lately I use bottling trees. I shake out the carboys as well. But a trace of iodine, hell that's a nutritional bonus.

Unlike Star-San and the foam. Which by the way I fear a lot.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:15 PM   #229
uechikid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When I use Str-San I fill the carboy about a quarter of the way and gently swirl it around so it doesn't make much foam. Then I gently pour it out in a bucket and reuse it to sanitize other utensils and parts.

"Carpe Diem"

Old 08-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #230
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethebrew View Post

I fear the foam. I use the iodine, partly because the foam makes corks never stick. Slippery. Also unless mistaken iodine is good for you in minimal amounts.
Iodide is beneficial Iodine is not.

Quick Reply