Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Star san ice cube

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012, 02:02 AM   #11
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by grssmnperez View Post
So if i use the sanitizer in the carboy and there is some left over, it may effect the flavor o the beer?
There's a HUGE difference between "some left over" and "dropping a gallon of frozen sanitizer" into my wort.

I once drank a shot of diulted starsan. It has a mild citrusy flavor. I guarantee you would not detect the leftover foam, or a few ounces of starsan solution at the bottom of a carboy, in a 5 gallon batch of beer, unless you have some phenomenal sensitivity to the flavor of starsan.

I honestly think that in most beers, even a gallon would be hard to detect, but there's certainly no promises there.

Fake it til you make it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 02:16 AM   #12
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 998 Times on 614 Posts
Likes Given: 2673

OK, I get what you're trying to do. I used to sanitize a food storage container with starsan just like you would any other vessel or container and then fill it with boiled water. Freeze that and then dump it in to your wort. It worked great for me...

Old 07-27-2012, 02:16 AM   #13
grssmnperez
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewKnurd

There's a HUGE difference between "some left over" and "dropping a gallon of frozen sanitizer" into my wort.

I once drank a shot of diulted starsan. It has a mild citrusy flavor. I guarantee you would not detect the leftover foam, or a few ounces of starsan solution at the bottom of a carboy, in a 5 gallon batch of beer, unless you have some phenomenal sensitivity to the flavor of starsan.

I honestly think that in most beers, even a gallon would be hard to detect, but there's certainly no promises there.
The is only 6ml in the 1 frozen gallon. I am afraid if i boil the water and then try to poor it into a plastic container it will melt the container. That is the only reason i ruled that out. I am making a citrus beer so i don't think i would b able to taste it

Old 07-27-2012, 02:19 AM   #14
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 998 Times on 614 Posts
Likes Given: 2673

Quote:
Originally Posted by grssmnperez View Post
The is only 6ml in the 1 frozen gallon. I am afraid if i boil the water and then try to poor it into a plastic container it will melt the container. That is the only reason i ruled that out. I am making a citrus beer so i don't think i would b able to taste it
Just let the water cool first. Just like chilling wort, you can put it in an ice bath if you want. I would just put the lid on the kettle and let the water chill over night when I did it.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:21 AM   #15
Pezedorado
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Stauffbier is def on the right path. Minimize the concentration of starsan.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:24 AM   #16
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by grssmnperez

Right, but that's the normal dilution rate, so you'll have 1 gallon of normal starsan solution... Or am I misunderstanding?

And yes, i agree, do not pour a large amount of boiling water into plastic.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:28 AM   #17
jmweirick
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Another simple option is to purchase ice from the store, such as Home City ice, that has been shipped in. It is made from sterile water to begin with and is usually kept frozen below -4F, which is a low enough temperature to kill almost all bacteria anyway. As long as you make sure the bag is puncture free when you buy it, there shouldn't be any issue.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:30 AM   #18
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 481 Posts
Likes Given: 154

Just boil water, let it cool some, maybe put the pot in the sink and run cool water around it. Then when it is under 190 or so, what ever the melting temperature of your freezing vessel, fill and freeze.

This will be sterile, if you sanitize the container, and much easier and cheaper.

Many threads on this have been posted.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:59 AM   #19
Ryush806
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier

Just let the water cool first. Just like chilling wort, you can put it in an ice bath if you want. I would just put the lid on the kettle and let the water chill over night when I did it.
+1. If you do it a few days in advance you'll have plenty of time to cool it off before freezing it. The starsan probably won't hurt but why risk it if you can do a better way with only a little more time commitment?

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
- Benjamin Franklin (and I don't care if this quote has been largely discredited/misquoted...I like it!)

Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.
- Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-27-2012, 03:24 AM   #20
Onlooker
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmweirick View Post
and is usually kept frozen below -4F, which is a low enough temperature to kill almost all bacteria anyway.
Sorry, not true. You don't kill off bacteria (well, some will die but not all) by freezing. They just go dormant, for the most part. Just like you can't kill bacteria on meat (or other foods) by freezing. (I'm not talking about liquid nitrogen cold or absolute zero , just normal deep freezer cold).

Bottom line is: don't fool yourself into thinking you can sterilize water by freezing it.

Quick Reply