Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > !st lagar batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2005, 02:56 PM   #1
luv2brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default !st lagar batch

I'm thrilled to find this forum where we can talk about the thing we love.
A question for more experienced brewers then myself. I found a receipe for Octoberfest Lagar but no specifications for fermenting primary or secondary.The batch of lagar is in nice primary ferment now at a steady 52-54 deg F( maybe a little higher then ideal),I still have activity in the bubbler after 7 days, I havent taken a secondary gravity yet, Question... Should I Rack to a secondary ferment now..later... or not at all ,and would the secondary be at a colder temp??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2005, 04:39 PM   #2
Mikey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Lagers are typically fermented at around 50F for as long as it takes to get the gravity down to finishing value. Don't be surpised if it takes 2-3 weeks. You can rack to the secondary at the end of fermentation.

After that, some people bring the beer up to 60-65F for a day or two for a diacetyl rest.

The next step is to slowly take the beer down to around freezing (or just below if your fridge can do it ) and let it sit for a few months. This step is the 'lagering' process.

After that you bottle or keg same as any other beer.

Old 12-14-2005, 05:02 PM   #3
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

yep, it will take at least 2 weeks to ferment out. then raise the temp to the mid sixties for 2-3 days for a diacetyl rest, then rack to secondary. lower the temp 2-5 degrees a day until you reach 30-32 degrees. allow it to lager for a minimum of 4 weeks. an octoberfest may not need to lager as long as a bock or doppelbock. but, the longer the better, but no longer than, say six months.
i've read where some rack to secondary when it's about 80-90% attenuated, then once fermented out, then do the diacetyl rest at mid-60's, then rack again for lagering. just don't drop the temp from 60 to 32 too fast. a gradual drop is better for the flavor of the brew.

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 12-14-2005, 08:54 PM   #4
luv2brew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey
Lagers are typically fermented at around 50F for as long as it takes to get the gravity down to finishing value. Don't be surpised if it takes 2-3 weeks. You can rack to the secondary at the end of fermentation.

After that, some people bring the beer up to 60-65F for a day or two for a diacetyl rest.

The next step is to slowly take the beer down to around freezing (or just below if your fridge can do it ) and let it sit for a few months. This step is the 'lagering' process.

After that you bottle or keg same as any other beer.

Thanks !!!!that was what I was looking for.

Quick Reply