Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Squeeze the dry hop bag?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
bessieflames
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Squeeze the dry hop bag?

Quick question: I have been dry-hopping in the keg and when I pull the bag out, I squeeze it to get the majority of the beer out. When I do, a lot of REALLY hoppy beer gets added to the keg. Is this bad? I tasted some of the beer that I squeezed from the bag and it is very bitter. Should I be doing this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
Guildenstern
Recipes 

You take your dry hops out of the keg before it's empty?

Old 12-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
bessieflames
Recipes 

Yeah--I dry hop in a keg with the dip tube shortened. I remove the bags and then crash cool to settle the yeast and hop particles. Then I transfer to a serving keg.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
Guildenstern
Recipes 

I just pop the bag in my service keg when I rack to it and leave it. I made my last Pale Ale in July and it lasted on tap until a couple weeks ago, didn't seem to get excessively bitter and by then the whole keg was basically like the inside of your hop bag from an exposure stand point. I should note for this I use whole hops, and I also use a tolerant Lager Yeast for my Pale Ales and IPAs so that may affect things.

To your original question I guess the best answer is does the beer you end up with taste like what you want? I would think squeezing would be fine since the bittering agents need to isomerize in the boil to become water soluble. Was the taste bitter or Tannic? You'll get some of that from the fine particles that come out of the bag. Once it's diluted in a full keg and settles it should be ok.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:56 PM   #5
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1876 Times on 1156 Posts
Likes Given: 2699

^^^ I'm thinking about just putting a bag of pellet hops in the keg and leaving there until the keg kicks. Do you see any problem with that?

OP, I have zero experience with this. But I would think if they are whole hops a little squeeze wouldn't hurt. If they are pellet hops I believe they have would have served their purpose so don't squeeze, just remove them.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:56 PM   #6
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

If I remove the bag I always squeeze it. Hops are bitter, pop one in your mouth. While you don't get a lot of bitterness into your beer from dry hopping they do impart some bitter flavor.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:04 PM   #7
Guildenstern
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
^^^ I'm thinking about just putting a bag of pellet hops in the keg and leaving there until the keg kicks. Do you see any problem with that?
I can't say I've ever tried it, but if the bag holds on to the bits well enough it seems like it would be fine, otherwise you'll get lots of particulate in your beer.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:56 AM   #8
bessieflames
Recipes 

I use whole hops for dry hopping. It technically doesn't impart bitterness units, but it does increase the apparent bitterness. I don't leave them in the keg because they do give a little bit of cloudiness. I like to clear my beers well, so I remove the hops and crash cool it. I have been removing the bag without squeezing it, so I don't know how it will taste. I guess I will report back.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:41 AM   #9
tesilential
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I dry hop with whole hops in the keg and leave them in. Today I kicked a SMaSH keg and removed 2 oz of cascade that had been in it for 1.5 months. The hops had no aroma, it had all been taking by the beer. That said I chewed one and immediately got a ton of bitterness.

This beer had great floral aroma for 2 weeks, then kinda faded and just smelled like orange.

I have a Pliny clone dry hopping with 2 oz Simcoe pellets in bucket. I will rack to keg and hop with 2 oz Simcoe and 1 ounce amarillo leaves in the keg.

Leaving the hops in indefinitely doesn't seem to hurt the beer, but it doesn't give any extra aroma after a couple weeks. In the future after 3 weeks I'll remove hops and dry hop again with fresh hops according to how much beer is left.

Edit: also my IPA's with hops in keg are some of my clearest beers.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:34 PM   #10
ILBMF
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've been hopping the keg for years...up to an ounce of whole cones or pellets, but only with IPA's. I would never pull the bag out before the keg is kicked because I don't want to stir things up. I use about 3-4 huge stainless steel bolts in the bag so it's laying on the bottom next to the dip tube. Hops oils tend to rise so the bag goes down low.

Recently I've been limiting the pellets to 3/4 oz of low cohumulone hops only. It tends to emit less harshness/perceived bitterness, etc. I also notice that the more beer that gets poured, the less I taste the hops from the bag. If I let it sit without a pour for several days, the first few pours emit stronger hop aroma.

I just tapped a Pliny clone a week and a half ago which uses 13 ozs of hops in a 5 gallon batch and still put 3/4 oz of Simcoe and Columbus in the weighted bag. My suggestion is leave it alone if it's causing a perceived bitterness which is subjective.

The question is, do you like the beer after you squeeze the bag?

''Once, I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken'' (Read that somewhere, just loved it. Sorry if I stole it...consider it a compliment)

''I don't allow work during drinking hours''

Quick Reply