Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2122 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I think it has a lot more to due with what you're looking for in the flavor addition. I was looking for a subtle addition, not depth-charge level.

This is one of the reasons why so many people say to taste the brew before you bottle it, as well as after time with each flavor addition. It's far easier to add more of an element that to try and get some of it out.

I aged the brew with bourbon added for about a month on oak after I racked it (to pull it off another element)... I tried some on the 2/26 and it still wasn't where I wanted it. I'm probably going to wait another month, or two, before I try another bottle of it. It might be closer to what I wanted come the fall.
Yeah, in hindsight it would have been very easy to take a taste at various times and add a bit until it came out right. I didn't want to have to hunt real hard for the flavor. I'm not a fan of straight bourbon, but I do like to have the flavor in a good strong beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #12
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2122 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1165

I have about 4 gallons of mead that I need to rack. I may rack some into a 2.5 gallon carboy and the rest into one or two 1 gallon jugs. I might add some bourbon or oak and bourbon into those small jugs and see what happens.

I had an oaked bourbon mead at a festival last spring and it was amazing. Then again, I was half-lit by all of the free beer and redhot wine... (yes, wine flavored with the candy!)

Old 03-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #13
thedirtystayout
Recipes 

Mmmm... Skittle Brau.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:01 PM   #14
madavis25
Recipes 

I have split 2 different batches.

1) I brewed a Belgian dubbel base recipe. Before adding the candi sugar, I split 5gal off, added hops at flame out, cooled, and pitched California ale yeast for a nice amber. The other 5 gal, I added 1lb Candi sugar, boiled a bit longer, cooled, then pitched a Trappist yeast. Both were excellent beers

2) I just brewed a Dobblebock and split after cooling. 1/2 I pitched with California ale yeast. It tastes similar to an ESB. The other 1/2 I pitched with a Bavarian Lager yeast. That is lagering currently.

When I brew by myself, I find 10gal of 1 type a beer to be a little much. I like more variety. I recommend splitting. It is a great way to get variety without investing too much extra time

Old 03-11-2011, 11:14 PM   #15
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

madavis25... I think the more important thing would be placing each part into a vessel that's the correct size. Such as a 3 gallon carboy for 2.5 gallons... With your 10 gallon batches, normal sized primaries work...

I would just advise caution when using flavor elements that are new to you, for the first time. I still feel it's better to step up a flavor, than dump a butt-load in thinking it will be fine, only to have it far more than you imagined it would be... Just my take on it...

Homercidal... I'm thinking about pulling some of my own traditional mead from the main batches and doing something different with it too. Thinking of dropping a split vanilla bean into ~1 gallon of it... I'm also thinking of aging one of the remaining 3 gallon parts with some medium toast oak... So I'll have three versions of what started off as the same mead. Should help me to decide what to do next time I make batches...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Quick Reply