Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Split batch--which will need longer fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2005, 03:11 AM   #1
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Split batch--which will need longer fermentation?

I'm splitting a 5 gallon extract mix for some experimentation--and I only have a basic set up of two plastic 5 gal buckets, and one glass carboy. I was going to put the half batch of whatever needs to secondary ferment longest in the glass carboy.
I guess my two main questions are is it cool to ferment a 2 1/2 gallon batch in a 5 gallon fermenter? And, which of these two batches will need longer to SECONDARY ferment--Oatmeal Stout or a Vanilla Cream Oatmeal Stout (second one I'm going to add some lactose and vanilla beans, no other differences)? I can probably answer the second question for myself....the vanilla one should take longer, to let those flavors soak in...right?

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2005, 03:40 AM   #2
Dark_Ale
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrelse
I'm splitting a 5 gallon extract mix for some experimentation--and I only have a basic set up of two plastic 5 gal buckets, and one glass carboy. I was going to put the half batch of whatever needs to secondary ferment longest in the glass carboy.
I guess my two main questions are is it cool to ferment a 2 1/2 gallon batch in a 5 gallon fermenter? And, which of these two batches will need longer to SECONDARY ferment--Oatmeal Stout or a Vanilla Cream Oatmeal Stout (second one I'm going to add some lactose and vanilla beans, no other differences)? I can probably answer the second question for myself....the vanilla one should take longer, to let those flavors soak in...right?
I can answer half, typically beer will disapate any oxygen while ferminting, so ya its cool, Air space is ok, for beers that require more conditioning, by that I mean longer in the secondary I would fill to the top as a good brewing practice. But Its not gonna hurt anything. Generally, wines are what you have to worry about airspace due to aging times. Hope this helps

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply