Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Spigot On Primary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
cheezydemon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Spigot On Primary?

I believe it was Ed Wort who said that he had spigots on primaries, secondaries, bottling bucket, you name it.

This now makes good sense to me, except for the oxidation potential. Maybe it is insignificant, but it seems that a spigot pointed down will inherently have air in the spout, not to mention the hose, that may not be cleanly pushed out.

Even if the spigot was pointed upwards, you would have to hold the hose up until it was filled with beer, and then lower it into the secondary or bottling bucket, whichever.

Anyone else do this? Any tips or findings? Thanks.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2008, 02:30 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I flush my kegs with CO2 before transferring. What little air there is in the line gets diluted so much, I can't see it mattering.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-26-2008, 02:33 PM   #3
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Indeed. I bottle and have no available CO2.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",

Old 03-26-2008, 02:43 PM   #4
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Well one way to test your theory would be to bottle a 6 pack with the spigot and another with a racking cane. Then test them in about 1 1/2 years or so. I am not sure how much a difference it makes though. However, I have personally switched to the O2 absorbing caps as a failsafe.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:48 PM   #5
McSwiggin'
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use spigots on some of my fermenters. When I do this, I rig a line from the inside hole of he airlock to the spigot on the secondary (which is also equiped with an airlock. This will purge the secondary of any "outside air" and fill it with CO2. When it comes time to transfer, I rack through the spigot on the secondary leaving the airlock on. This ensures a better enviroment inside the secondary and can help prevent infection. I saw a picture on this forum of someone who uses the same practice and I decided to steal the idea.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That takes a special cap doesn't it Mcswiggin? Worth it, but you need to use a carboy, not a bucket.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:46 PM   #7
Willsellout

Recipes 

I believe this is the picture:

It's basically an O2 free transfer system. I use nothing but BB's and hope to upgrade to this when I can afford the extra fittings. I find the spigots work perfectly and have had zero issues with oxidation.

Dan

Secondary One-Empty
Secondary Two-Empty

On Tap: Hobgoblin, Coffee Stout
Bottled: Arrogant Bastard clone, Summit IPA, Apfelwein

Old 03-26-2008, 04:57 PM   #8
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

AHHHH! But that does still leave O2 in the line initially, right? I have witnessed bubbles constantly from that little bit of 02.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:14 PM   #9
drsocc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

from those diagrams - it looks like you'd face the problem of inadvertently transferring a bunch of trub with your beer as well as any air inside the line.

I think worrying about that tiny amount of air left in the line is a little neurotic. Relax and drink a little more.

: )

Old 03-26-2008, 05:31 PM   #10
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 259 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 7

All my bucket fermenters have spigots. I crash cool my beers down to 36 degrees for several days before kegging. The yeast compacts nice & firm at that temp.

I bring the buckets into the kitchen (turn off any heating/cooling) and set them up on the counter. I then put a Rubbermaid bus pan on the floor to catch any drips. I will spray the spigots with starsan a couple times over a few minute period. Next, I pull the airlock and then pour off enough sample to fill a hydrometer jar. After that, I push on a sanitized section of silicon hose (It hangs straight down) after I lowered the other end into a sanitized and CO2 purged corny. Open the valve and let'er rip. I will also place a inch thick cutting board under the far side of the bucket to get all my beer.

Pretty simple, yet very effective single stage fermenting without siphoning and all the headaches that go with it.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Quick Reply