Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Souring a "normal" beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
Indiana Red
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Souring a "normal" beer

Short of a "lambic" style, what would be the best ways to sour up a very strong fruit flavored beer.
I am looking at 5-10# of raspberries in a 5G batch of basic wheat beer. I want a pretty strong sweet/tart character. Acidulated malt has been suggested as has Lactic acid. Not even sure what PH numbers I am looking at.
Does one add the acid at bottling, to taste? Is it like an eye-dropper full to take it down half a point?

Kegged German Hef - #1301
Lagering Dopplebock - #1302
Bottled Berliner Weisse - #1303
Primary Belgian Trippel
Planning Weizenbock
BoiseBrewBlog.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4278 Times on 3117 Posts
Likes Given: 825

Just yesterday (I think it was) someone was talking about having a very tart beer after adding raspberries to secondary and needing to add some sweetener. So, I think that fermenting out the raspberries will give you a very sour/tart flavor without adding any souring.

If you want to add lactic acid or acidulated malt, that's usually done in the mash. You could add some citric acid at bottling, though, I'm sure.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
Pangea
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I think I've read you can add lactic acid after fermentation is complete also - if you want more sour/acidic character. I think citric acid can work the same way as yooper stated.

I've only added acidulated malt during mashing and was pleased with the result. I'm also pretty sure that acidulated malt is just malt containing extra lactic acid due to specialized malting processes. Thus it makes sense it could be a similar effect to using lactic acid alone.

Quick Reply