Old 08-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #11
Fuzzymittenbrewing
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1234 Times on 873 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrosborne View Post

The last sour mash I did, I opened the fermentation chamber I was holding the high temperature at and was hit by a wave of it. So, so awful. Luckily the glass of it I'm drinking right now doesn't smell like that.
I've found keeping a sheet of plastic wrap in contact with the wort keeps the bad smells down to a light creamed corn smell.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2013, 11:40 PM   #12
mikeoholic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I had to keep sticking my finger in the mash to make sure it was sour. Pretty tasty stuff. I'm sure the ph was really low so I probably wasn't as efficient in my mash but that's ok. Just end wanted something really sour. My saison should still end up around 5-5.8%. I did let it mash for about 2 hours at 149. I do the plastic wrap over the top too and that makes a big difference on the smell.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:48 PM   #13
Fuzzymittenbrewing
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1234 Times on 873 Posts
Likes Given: 117

You can cheat to the sour side with a little acidulated malt too. I did that with my last batch

Old 08-26-2013, 11:49 PM   #14
Trail
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Hm, a little confused here - I thought with a sour mash you completed the mash, cooled to 110ish, and inoculated with your grains. How could this affect extraction... when extraction is already done?

Kegged: Scottish Ale
Bottled: Honey Saison
Primary: Honey Steam Pilsner (Still!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
The first step is locating a cheap pasta maker. Are you married? If so you probably got one as a wedding present.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:24 AM   #15
mikeoholic
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerin
Hm, a little confused here - I thought with a sour mash you completed the mash, cooled to 110ish, and inoculated with your grains. How could this affect extraction... when extraction is already done?
I actually held at 110 then mashed in at 149. Wanted to keep the lacto alive on the grains. Then kill them

Old 08-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #16
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 347 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Kerin, if you mash and then sour you don't actually have a sour mash--you have soured wort. In a sour mash you sour the mash at a lower temperature to lower pH and then raise to your mash temperature. This acidifies your mash so that you lower into the proper pH range when it otherwise would be too high. When you add lactic acid to a mash to lower pH you are doing the same thing, but a bit more controlled.

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #17
mikeoholic
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well that didn't work out. Really cloudy and gross. Going to try any of the other techniques in this thread. Thanks for all the feedback.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #18
inthesound
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Yes, the OG will be affected, as your lacto starts consuming the sugars in your mash. I found an article somewhere online about using a 1# of unmilled grain per 5 gallon batch to sour, however, I did not truly sour mash, but instead mashed and lautered as normal , then collected my wort in the brew kettle. Used an immersion chiller to drop the wort temp between 100-110, and added a muslin bag full of unmilled grain. I purged the headspace with co2, covered with plastic wrap and let it ride for three days. Two was probably enough as my ph didn't change much between day two and three.

But, I noticed as the sour mash went on, my gravity creeped a little lower and lower. Not much. Maybe 5%? Perhaps 10%. I don't know, the whole thing was quite the experiment. Turned into a partigyle where I made a sour mash wheat wine fermented on tart cherries, and a super low gravity Berliner weiße that I later inoculated with another sour beer. They were both awesome.

Quick Reply