Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Son of Fermantion Chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2006, 03:02 AM   #31
El Cazador
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

does anybody have a resource for the Extruded Polystyrene?

My Home Depot only carries the styrofoam type materials.

When I die, I hope my wife doesn't sell my homebrew equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2006, 02:05 AM   #32
l3lackEyedAngels
Recipes 

Default My Chiller

I am currently in the process of building a fermentation chiller. Here is where you can find pictures of my progress: http://picasaweb.google.com/kurt.pad...erConstruction

My chiller will follow the plans set forth on the Son of a Fermentation Chiller site, except that I do not want to use an AC adapter. Rather, I'd like to use a few D cells. I can check them everyday with a voltmeter and I don't have to worry about the power going out, as it is apt to do durring Connecticut summers.

Old 07-16-2006, 08:23 AM   #33
leif.
Recipes 

In the San Diego area I was able to find the extruded polystrene at Dixieline. It was called foil 2 sides, it has a thin foil like layer on the outside, it has cut and glued fine so far.

I still need a little guidance on the wiring though. I have a dc converter and the fan so far. I should have the thermostat monday, but then i'll need to figure the wiring.

Old 07-16-2006, 08:41 PM   #34
l3lackEyedAngels
Recipes 

Same with the stuff I found. It's made by DOW and it came with a reflective layer on both sides.

Girl, you thought he was a man, but he really was a muffin....

Old 07-17-2006, 05:54 PM   #35
knewshound
Recipes 

SCORE

(repost from the board crash earlier last week)

While at one of my sites, contractors were re-roofing and tearing off 2 to 3 inch PolyStyrene panels, many 5 X 5 or larger.

I snagged 6 of them and threw my chiller togather on Friday.

MAN what a difference.

It has been well over 100 degrees here for the last week my my carboy is a steady 65.

Even with the heat, I change ice only once a day, and only a single gallon jug at that.

The 2 inch seems to be much more efficent than the 1 inch, go figure.

I have changed the "standard design" to use Bungee Cords as fasteners. I assemble the cooler, and strap bungee cords around it to hold it togather. I have re-enforced the corners with some aluminum angle stock to prevent abusing the edges and it works well. The dowels seems to be an iffy fastening system since they do not offer support to keep the edges tight, which is a concern to me. Particularly since my salvaged pieces are not exactly square and flat.

I also changed the ice compartment to a single large area and made the air inlet high up in the assembly and the exhaust outlet in the very botton on the theory that the warmer air is on the top of the cooler and the cooler air on the bottom. By grabbing air from the top and moving it out on the bottom, I believe it improves circulation.

I will take and post some pics later today.

If anyone lives in the Sacramento area dn wants a virtually unlimited supply of the 2 inch stock just give me a shout.

Cheers,

knewshound

In Wine there is Wisdom.

In Beer there is Strength.

In Water there is Bacteria.

The knewshounds Blog

Homebrewing 1A

Homebrewing 101

Old 07-23-2006, 04:51 PM   #36
starnski

Recipes 

I've used my s.o.f.c for the last two batches of brew, I ferment in my spare bedroom it's small and is not in the way. changing ice is not a problem, use a 12v adaptor, batteries will not work the 12v fan will drain them fast. the chiller works great.... so have at it..

Primary.
nada
Secondary.
nada
On tap.
nada
Drinkin.
West Coast Blonde Ale.American pilsner.
On deck.
Vanilla Weizen,Classic ESB

Old 07-30-2006, 06:47 PM   #37
leif.
Recipes 

I was able to complete my two chillers, and so far the one I have used works very well. Without an active fermentation in it I was able to get it down to 44.2 F with a room temperature of 85 F. That was a full load of ice and the thermostat set as low as it could go. I know the ice wont last long like that, but it was a nice benchmark.

With the fermentation going in it now I can hold it anywhere I need it between 50-67 F without too much strain on the ice.

Does anyone have a method to determine the wort temp. without constantly opening the chiller? (I have a strip type thermometer attached to it now.)

I use an indoor/outdoor thermometer to measure the interior air temp, but that doesn't always equal the wort temp. I was thinking about using another indoor/outdoor therm. to attach to the fermenter somehow so I would have both measurements (it might just measure the air temp from the side of the fermenter though?). I had contemplated putting one inside the wort after sanitizing it, but I always try to avoid any extra possibilities for contamination, so I'm not sure if I want to go this route (and a good seal on the lid might not be possible this way). Any input is always appreciated.

Quick Reply