Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Son of Fermantion Chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2006, 05:17 PM   #21
Somerville
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdIn
BTW, here is another alternative to ice bottles: http://www.techniiceamerica.com/
Well..for some reason I kept thinking that you need to buy a bag of ice and place it in containers haha but at the end of the "Son of Fermentation Chiller" instructions it says that using bleach jugs are extra durable and you can just filll em up, freeze em and you have solid ice man I'm going to do it this weekend for sure.
(None)

Bottled
(None)
R.I.P.
Dry Irish Stout #1
German Pilsner #1
American Pale Ale #1
California Ale #1
Dusseldorf Style Altbier #1

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2006, 07:38 PM   #22
Somerville

Recipes 

I'm currently searching for chiller parts and it needs a 12-volt DC adapter. Would "12VDC 200 MA WALL TRANSFORMER" be the same thing? I'm looking on All Electronics and Jameco. I'm getting alittle confused...the chiller instructions don't specify the full names of electronics. Thanks...Also, what exactly is AC and DC (besides the rock band) in terms of an adapter? Thanks!

(None)

Bottled
(None)
R.I.P.
Dry Irish Stout #1
German Pilsner #1
American Pale Ale #1
California Ale #1

Old 05-23-2006, 08:07 PM   #23
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerville
I'm currently searching for chiller parts and it needs a 12-volt DC adapter. Would "12VDC 200 MA WALL TRANSFORMER" be the same thing? I'm looking on All Electronics and Jameco. I'm getting alittle confused...the chiller instructions don't specify the full names of electronics. Thanks...Also, what exactly is AC and DC (besides the rock band) in terms of an adapter? Thanks!
That should work fine for driving some small fans.

AC = alternating current -> comes out of your wall, for instance
DC = direct current -> comes out of battery, for instance.

The two are not at all interchangeable and since your wall is AC and the fans are DC you need to convert.

Old 05-24-2006, 03:44 AM   #24
Somerville

Recipes 

Well, I went to rashioshack and blew 40 bucks on a fan, ac-dc adapter, electrical tape, and butt connectors (apparently I have to cut the wires coming out of the ac adapter to twist them to the fan. The radioshack guy thought that it would be a fire hazard to have them sitting out--thus the electrical tape and butt connectors. OSH didnt have polystyrene but I know Lowes does and the thermostat. I have a couple questions...Do I need extra wires for connecting the thermostate to the fan ? If so, which?
Also another question about the panel construction. I didnt understand his explanation of the wood panels and weather stripping...how does this work? Also his explanation of the grommets and stuff --I dont understand (do I really need these to make it snug?) Thanks

(None)

Bottled
(None)
R.I.P.
Dry Irish Stout #1
German Pilsner #1
American Pale Ale #1
California Ale #1

Old 05-24-2006, 08:30 PM   #25
Jester4176
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't think you'll need to cut the wires on the adapter if you use a different design. I have a 12v power adapter that I'll be using for my stir plate and the chiller when it gets built. What I plan on for power to the chiller, is doing the same that I did for the stir plate. By an extra Panel mount coax DC power jack, drill a hole for it, wire it up, then epoxy it in. I plan on having it stick out just a little from the side of the chiller, then using canned foam insulation to back fill the hole it's in. This way I can use 1 adapter for 2 things. And...there will be no cutting of wires.

Old 05-24-2006, 10:13 PM   #26
runhard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

After a couple of days of the "blue ice/polar ice" packs, I found they melt way too fast, but I do live in Texas and it's been in the 90s so my shed must be at least a solid 95-100F. I had 4 packs on one side and 2 on the other. Each pack is about 4 in x 5 in x 2 in. I'm going to try a small amount of dry ice along with a 3 liter soda bottle and see how that works. Those PETG type bottles are fairly tough, maybe even a little tougher than the HDPE - type such as a bleach bottle but I'll defer that debate to someone who knows plastics and associated properties.

Old 05-25-2006, 05:29 AM   #27
Somerville

Recipes 

Yeah, I'm skippin on the ice packs. I'm making mine this weekend so I'll be sure to take some detailed pics and post them on the forum...maybe even with some directions for people lookin into it. I found the orginal directions by the creator to be a bit disorganized. There isnt a list of items that you need-- you have to go through the whole thing and find them. On top of that, the descriptions of the electricals aren't that detailed. Though the design itself is rather straightforward and looks like its going to be easy. Runhard, is it possible for you to take some pictures of your electricals in the chiller and post them?

(None)

Bottled
(None)
R.I.P.
Dry Irish Stout #1
German Pilsner #1
American Pale Ale #1
California Ale #1

Old 05-26-2006, 07:14 PM   #28
mushroomhead
Recipes 

I built a chiller a couple years ago, but made it a little bit bigger. Basically took 1/4" plywood and insulated it with 1/2" styrofome. Beefed it up a little bit - 2 fans, room for 2+ gallon ice jugs, and room enough for a 7 gallon carboy and airlock. That thing works great! I've successfully brought it down to 55 degrees in a 72+ degree room and changing the ice daily. If you want to just drop around 5 degrees, you can leave the ice longer.

I'll see if I can find some pics tonight for you.

Old 05-30-2006, 04:07 AM   #29
Somerville

Recipes 

I'm looking at the thermometer and inside it has a wire going to RH and into RC right next to it. Then a wire connected to the circuit board and going into Y. It states right inside the thermomter that "Y" is for gas heat and "A" is for elec. heat. The chiller directions say put the AC wire into RH and the fan into G. Do I leave the wires the thermomter already has? Can two wires go into RH? Anyone experience this?

(None)

Bottled
(None)
R.I.P.
Dry Irish Stout #1
German Pilsner #1
American Pale Ale #1
California Ale #1

Old 05-30-2006, 05:25 PM   #30
Somerville

Recipes 

In case some does in fact know something about this, I got the fan to turn on through the thermometer but it doesn't turn on when I switch it to "AUTO"...anyone know why?

(None)

Bottled
(None)
R.I.P.
Dry Irish Stout #1
German Pilsner #1
American Pale Ale #1
California Ale #1

Quick Reply