Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Son of Fermantion Chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2006, 11:17 PM   #1
Somerville
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Son of Fermention Chiller

Has anyone done one of these things? I find this design inconvenient because you have to replace the ice every 2 days. I mean, that sounds like a lot of ice...is it actually as inconvenient as it sounds? I have an old fridge thats being partially used but I could fix a way to fit my fermentor in there, would it be better just to buy a temp control unit? And, are they easy to use?

(None)

Bottled
(None)
R.I.P.
Dry Irish Stout #1
German Pilsner #1
American Pale Ale #1
California Ale #1
Dusseldorf Style Altbier #1

Last edited by Somerville; 05-22-2006 at 01:13 AM. Reason: spelling

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2006, 11:29 PM   #2
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah, Desertbrew has one. It doesn't sound as if he thinks the ice is an inconvenience......

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthre...rtbrew+chiller

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 05-21-2006, 11:47 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

I have a Ranco controller and it is simple to setup. As a plus, it can control the refigerator when I need to lower the temperature or a small heater I use in the winter. Takes about 2 minutes to change all of the settings.

For a chiller, if you have a large enough freezer swapping bottles out every other day is no big deal.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-22-2006, 12:13 AM   #4
Somerville

Recipes 

Ok yeah, that was the one I was planning on making. Sounds good and looks friggin' sweet. I was wondering, could you use ice-paks instead of actual ice. Like the commercial onces with frozen gel? Because if I bought 4 of those, I could place two in and two in the freezer amd easily switch them. Maybe I would need 8? The good thing about these would be no melted ice and just one charge (I think I already have a couple). What do you think? Do you think they would melt faster?

(None)

Bottled
(None)
R.I.P.
Dry Irish Stout #1
German Pilsner #1
American Pale Ale #1
California Ale #1

Old 05-22-2006, 01:15 AM   #5
Somerville

Recipes 

P.S. Pardon my spelling in the title...it should be fermentation

(None)

Bottled
(None)
R.I.P.
Dry Irish Stout #1
German Pilsner #1
American Pale Ale #1
California Ale #1

Old 05-22-2006, 01:46 AM   #6
sonvolt
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I think that it is obvious that a refrigerator converted into a fermentation closet is without a doubt the better option. However, the son of fermentation chiller idea has certain advantages for some of us without refrigerators.

1. It is small and you can store it away easily when not using it.
2. It is much cheaper and economical than acquiring another fridge and converting it for use as a fermentation chiller.
3. It does not use electricity.

This project serves a purpose, but if you are like me, there is only so many fridges you can have. The next one I get is going to be converted into a kegerator, so a ferm chiller like the one you mention is a more realistic idea for someone like me who doesn't want three fridges in his garage.

Old 05-22-2006, 02:02 AM   #7
Somerville

Recipes 

Yeah definitely...but what about frozen-gel-packs man ...do you think those would work instead of ice?

(None)

Bottled
(None)
R.I.P.
Dry Irish Stout #1
German Pilsner #1
American Pale Ale #1
California Ale #1

Old 05-22-2006, 04:42 AM   #8
Jester4176
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What about cutting out the ice chamber, and integrating a mini dorm fridge in it's place? I'm looking at a small 1.8cu ft fridge, then taking the door off and taping/caulking it up real well. Do you think this would work better because you wouldn't have to swap frozen bottles? And would one big open chamber work ok, or would a fan still be needed? I'm thinking this approach might work a little better, and could double as a chiller and a lagering box. Anyone done this?

Old 05-22-2006, 04:58 AM   #9
Somerville

Recipes 

Oh yeah, I think I remember you or someone talking about this when I searched the forum. So you would basically have a mini-fridge plugged in and running but removing the door and attaching the fermentation chiller minus the ice chambers. Thus, the cooling air of the mini-fridge would be expanding into the chiller. After writing this, I have come up with another question. Since you would be using a fridge you would require one of those temp-controller units right? I think the whole point of the fermentation chiller was to avoid this expense + the extra fridge + plus insulation...The write of "Son of Ferm. Chiller" said total max expenses would be $~70...At Best Buy, a dorm fridge is $~70 and a temp-controller from morebeer.com is $~55...this is much higher...unless you already own the fridge...then

(None)

Bottled
(None)
R.I.P.
Dry Irish Stout #1
German Pilsner #1
American Pale Ale #1
California Ale #1

Old 05-22-2006, 12:32 PM   #10
Jester
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you have the fridge space, I would say use the fridge as a ferment chiller... I just got a Ranco temp controller last week and put my first brew in the ferment chiller last night... I had an extra fridge, so there wasnt much cost other than the temp. controller... now there's no worries about high temps or swapping out ice... good luck...

Jester

Quick Reply