Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Sodium Metabisulfite Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
PoconoParadiso
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Will Sodium Metabisulfite kill yeast if added in boil?

This may be a silly question, but I'm a bit nervous. I am doing a coconut porter and plan to add toasted coconut to the mash, boil, and secondary. I am getting ready to toast the coconut and see my wife bought sweetened coconut with preservatives as opposed to the unsweetened, organic coconut I requested. I looked at the ingredients and see sodium metabisulfite as an ingredient and know this can kill yeast.

My question is - is there risk of killing my yeast if I add toasted coconut to the mash and boil? or is the amount used in the coconut minute enough and/or will be burnt off in the boil to be rendered harmless?

THanks so much for any advice. I don't want to ruin a hopefully declious (end expensive) brew!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
jmf143
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You may want to repost this in the Brew Science forum. Or just buy the organic coconut and keep the sweetened for non-brewing purposes.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #3
BPS531
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Adding sodium or potassium metabisulfite to your water pre mash is a recommended method for removing chlorine and/or chloramine. Once you heat it up, any leftover sulphur should dissipate quickly, and it won't cause issues any more. You should be safe using the coconut in the mash and boil, but you might want to avoid "dry coconuting" with it.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:10 AM   #4
PoconoParadiso
Recipes 

Thanks for the responses guys. I did some more research and eventually went ahead and added it to the mash and boil and lo and behold less than 24 hours in the fermentor there is significant airlock activity. I will indeed be picking up some organic coconut for the secondary.

Quick Reply