Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > So what does oxidation taste like?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2010, 04:31 AM   #1
dunnright00
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default So what does oxidation taste like?

I think I heard it tastes like wet cardboard? That's kind of what this tastes like.

Also, does it get worse with time?

I'm drinking my brown ale (which I was sure got oxidized because of a leaky auto-siphon) and it tastes funky.

Weird thing is, I tasted it at 1 week, and it was good. Again, at exactly 2 weeks, and even better.
Then, literally the next day I tried one more and I tasted it (the cardboard). Now, two days later and it's a little worse.

I got 2 cases of this stuff....

"I'm sittin' here, completely surrounded by No Beer!" - Onslow

Last edited by dunnright00; 06-10-2010 at 04:32 AM. Reason: typos

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2010, 05:30 AM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yep...sorry.

Add this site to your favorites:

http://www.winning-homebrew.com/off-flavors.html

Old 06-10-2010, 06:36 AM   #3
kmk1012
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

MMMM! Wet cardboard is good with some salt from what I've heard!LOL! On a serious note, try to get something from this expirence-no oxygen=no wet cardboard. I've had a few turn out similar to yours.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
dunnright00
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Yeah, I know that oxygen = no good. Can't really help it though when your auto-siphon starts sucking air.

Oh well...

"I'm sittin' here, completely surrounded by No Beer!" - Onslow

Old 06-10-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
Beer_Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I had a batch do that a while back. At 2 weeks great beers. At 3 weeks, YUCK! They were in half liter PET bottles so I tasted a few and all were that way. I popped the tops and swirled them until the foam reached the top and closed them back up. Within a day or two the funky taste disappeared.

I would try that before dumping them. I do not know why it worked, but it worked for my brew.

BTW: The beers were kept in the fridge the whole time.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #6
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You know how old chips or crackers taste stale? Not just in texture but also they just have a 'flat' flavor to them?

I've had oxidation start out like that as it progressed to the 'wet cardboard' kind of taste.

A little zip-tie can help keep the hose from allowing air to come in at the top of the racking cane. if you had air in the auto-siphon bottom, you need to make sure its nice and wet going in, and usually a single forceful pump will prevent air pockets from getting formed initially.

I do find that using an auto-siphon its handy to have two people involved...one to hold the tubing and one to run the auto-siphon until its started and 'safe'.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 06-10-2010, 10:56 PM   #7
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I sampled my last stir plate starter and thought it tasted of vinegar. I'm assuming it was massive oxidation that made it taste that way.. Dunno though..

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...hamber-190459/

Old 06-10-2010, 10:57 PM   #8
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hmmm the off flavors site points to bacterial infection for vinegar, but I fermented out a beer with that yeast and it tastes great, no off flavors at all.. hmm...

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...hamber-190459/

Old 06-10-2010, 11:38 PM   #9
bsdx
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd have to think the easiest way to taste oxidation would be to leave a glass of beer in open air for a number of hours and take a taste. Assuming there is enough air in the fridge it would keep it similar to a cold fresh sample, but you could also leave it out for hours or overnight. Ever smelled a beer glass from the previous day, spilled beer or old beer cans? Yuck! Not sure if there is more going on than oxidation. Maybe try stirring up a glass of beer considerably.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:45 AM   #10
oldschool
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think I have an APA that did this, but took about three months. just tastes kinda stale and the hops really died. It's kegged, but i think that has to be what it is. I guess we just have to be anal about it and purge everything with CO2

Quick Reply