Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > So my gravity is a little high... (correction options?)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2013, 02:00 AM   #1
andrewbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default So my gravity is a little high... (correction options?)

Last weekend I was working on one of my fine Andy Dandy's IPA's and low and behold I get to the end of it, take a gravity, and find that i have overshot my target by about .02. My target was 1.062 and I ended at 1.093. At first I thought I had somehow found a way to boost my efficiency from 65% to 90%.

What really happened is that I mistook a 5lb bag of corn sugar for a 2lb bag of corn sugar. Dumb I know, but I was looking at all the beautiful hops that were about to go in.

So now to my question. I would like to somehow make this beer drinkable. I have a beer right now that is going to net around 12% give or take. With the bitterness profile and aroma hops, I think I need to get it down to around 9% and then dry hop like crazy.

Any and all ideas are appreciated.
Can I simply add boiled and cooled H20? I know my volumes will be screwed up, but I want to try and salvage it. If I do add water, should I also add some Yeast just in case it starts to peter out to sweet?

Some other vitals from Beer Smith
12 lbs of total grain
65 IBUS
2.5 oz of late addition Citra and Simcoe

Plenty of hops (Citra, Amarillo, Simcoe, Mosaic) to dry hop with.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 02:05 AM   #2
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1699 Times on 1211 Posts
Likes Given: 696

I would probably make a "session IPA" with a similar hop character, and blend the two.

Up Next: Bluebird Bitter Clone v3.0, Scottish 60/-, Rye American Pale Ale
Primary: Robust Porter, Kitchen Sink Brown Porter, Bluebird Bitter Clone v2.0
Souring: Lamebic, Flanders Red, Brett. C. Old Ale, Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter, Wild Cider
Polypins: Dark Mild
Bottled: English Cider, Belgian IPA, Spiced Winter Warmer, Malt Liquor
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 09-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
KraphtBier
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Open beersmith, select the dilution tool from the 'tools' drop down. Problem solved.

If God made anything better than beer, apple pie, and women (in that order)...he kept it for himself.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
andrewbrews
Recipes 

Thanks for the BeerSmith tip. I have just started using it and had no idea. I am also intrigued about the idea of brewing a session IPA to bring it down. I think diluting with water is reasonable since all my hop addition rates were based on the the OG being 1.062. I added the sugar late, so I don't think my utilization will be impacted. My only concern would be the body. Is there enough malt in there to hold up against the alcohol and hops or will it taste watered down? I need to add about 2 gallons to bring it down to a reasonable amount.

One question I have about brewing another batch and blending. This might seem a little dumb, but how exactly do you recommend blending when all I have are 5 gallon buckets? If I do 1/2 and 1/2 into a bucket and then transfer that to a keg, it seems like an awful lot of potential oxygen being introduced. If I mix directly into kegs, will I get adequate mixing? Lastly, if I blending 10 gals into 5, how do I ensure equal mixing? I guess it's better than one really high IPA, but having a 1/5 IPA and a 3/4 IPA isn't really what I am looking for. Again, not a terrible problem to have 10 gallons of two different IPA's.

I guess it just depends if I want to brew again... Decisions, decisions.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:28 AM   #5
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas

Recipes 

Liked 449 Times on 391 Posts
Likes Given: 144

I would taste it after fermenting, with that much sugar it could significantly affect the beer, it could be so cidery as to be undrinkable. 20% is an oft cited limit.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Old 09-09-2013, 05:36 AM   #6
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP

Recipes 

Liked 1699 Times on 1211 Posts
Likes Given: 696

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbrews View Post
Thanks for the BeerSmith tip. I have just started using it and had no idea. I am also intrigued about the idea of brewing a session IPA to bring it down. I think diluting with water is reasonable since all my hop addition rates were based on the the OG being 1.062. I added the sugar late, so I don't think my utilization will be impacted. My only concern would be the body. Is there enough malt in there to hold up against the alcohol and hops or will it taste watered down? I need to add about 2 gallons to bring it down to a reasonable amount.

One question I have about brewing another batch and blending. This might seem a little dumb, but how exactly do you recommend blending when all I have are 5 gallon buckets? If I do 1/2 and 1/2 into a bucket and then transfer that to a keg, it seems like an awful lot of potential oxygen being introduced. If I mix directly into kegs, will I get adequate mixing? Lastly, if I blending 10 gals into 5, how do I ensure equal mixing? I guess it's better than one really high IPA, but having a 1/5 IPA and a 3/4 IPA isn't really what I am looking for. Again, not a terrible problem to have 10 gallons of two different IPA's.

I guess it just depends if I want to brew again... Decisions, decisions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclman View Post
I would taste it after fermenting, with that much sugar it could significantly affect the beer, it could be so cidery as to be undrinkable. 20% is an oft cited limit.
I would agree to taste it before doing anything. That much sugar could easily be problematic. That sugar will already make the thing really dry and light, and watering it down may only take a subpar beer, and make an even worse watery subpar beer. You'll need to build back up the supporting malt character somehow, that is if it's even worth salvaging.

I would suggest getting a few graduated cylinders. Stick your current one in secondary after fermentation. Meanwhile, make another small IPA, and then after that's fermented, take and carefully blend together various ratios until you find the combo you like the most. If it's substantially more of the smaller beer (which may well be the case), then I'd go ahead and make a second batch of it, or however much you need, and then mix directly into kegs at whatever ratio you thought was the best. I think if it's given enough time to sit, and with the spinning while racking, you should be ok mixing wise.

Up Next: Bluebird Bitter Clone v3.0, Scottish 60/-, Rye American Pale Ale
Primary: Robust Porter, Kitchen Sink Brown Porter, Bluebird Bitter Clone v2.0
Souring: Lamebic, Flanders Red, Brett. C. Old Ale, Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter, Wild Cider
Polypins: Dark Mild
Bottled: English Cider, Belgian IPA, Spiced Winter Warmer, Malt Liquor
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Quick Reply