Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > So I made my starter very poorly

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2008, 03:45 PM   #1
fork
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default So I made my starter very poorly

So my local brew supply store suggested I make my starter for my california ale yeast with 1 quart of water with 3 table spoon s sugar. This seemed like not much sugar compared to what most suggest so I made it a little heavier, 3 tablespoons sugar, one table spoon brown sugar with 3 cups water which I boiled for about 10 minutes. This is in a half gallon carboy with some yeast nutrient. This seems like a lot lower gravity than most use, can anyone tell me what this gravity would be? Its at 12 hours and doesn't seem to be doing much. Will this be a sufficient starter, I want to brew tomorrow which will put pitching the yeast a little less than 2 days after pitching the starter?

Oh this is my second batch, the first was an extract kit. This is an almost all grain, with a few pounds of extract cause I don't have room to do a full mash for a barley wine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

The LHBS suggested making a starter with sugar!?! Thats odd....

Normally you use Dry Malt Extract to make starters, not sugar...that causes a problem. You want the ale yeast to ferment wort, not sugar water. So, you'd acclimate the yeast to simple sugars (like dextrose or sucrose), but then expect them to ferment maltose. You'd be stressing the yeast, instead of giving it a "head start". So, you should not use sugar, and you want your starter wort to be around 1.040. Not too high, because you don't want to stress the yeast. You want to wake up the yeast, and get them reproducing and active.

I'd go get more yeast and a pound of xtra light dme and make a starter with 1/2 cup dme and 2 cups water.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-31-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'd stop taking advice from your LHBS right now.

+1 to what Revvy said. a gravity under 1.030 isn't enough, and over 1.045 is too much. that's your range to shoot for. the scientific, reliable way, is to hit 1.040 on every starter.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 05-31-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
JAKlaassen
Recipes 

www.mrmalty.com

+1 on ignoring your LHBS.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:14 AM   #5
brewgrl
Recipes 

yikes! sugar water doesn't have any vitamins/minerals for the yeast! definitely go with DME!

Old 06-03-2008, 04:39 AM   #6
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
I'd stop taking advice from your LHBS right now.

+1 to what Revvy said. a gravity under 1.030 isn't enough, and over 1.045 is too much. that's your range to shoot for. the scientific, reliable way, is to hit 1.040 on every starter.
i think its 800 ml water to 1 cup DME for 1.040

this is why Erlenmeyer flasks are so cool. very easy to measure out

Old 06-03-2008, 05:36 AM   #7
jiffybrew
Recipes 

Sugar water + Yeast Nutrient doesnt sound like much of a starter for beer because of the maltose. But could it be a starter for lets say.. Apfelwein? Where its mainly fructose and sucrose?

Old 06-03-2008, 08:48 AM   #8
SourHopHead

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My LHBS told me to originally prime with sugar. All my cider did was foam and tasted like S@%&. Haven't seen that person at the store since.

FV's- Flanders Red, Munich Helles x2, Apfelwein, Hard Lemonade
SV1- Pumpkin Spice
SV2- Hard Cider
SV3- Empty
Kegs- Green Chili Ale, Watermelon Sour

On Deck: Celebration Ale Clone

"Be Good or Be Gone." EST. 1854
Shazbot Blonde

Old 06-03-2008, 01:46 PM   #9
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Even though that is a crappy starter, and you know better for next time. I'd still use the yeast, they may get stressed but as long as the beer you are making is not high gravity, I think they'll still take off and make you some good beer, yeast are fairly resilient. Harvest some yeast from this batch though and then make starters propagating up from that.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 06-03-2008, 04:00 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffybrew View Post
Sugar water + Yeast Nutrient doesnt sound like much of a starter for beer because of the maltose. But could it be a starter for lets say.. Apfelwein? Where its mainly fructose and sucrose?
Actually when I made my apfelwein, I was worried about the sorbate in the juice and noone was around online to answer if sorbate was OK, the guy at MY lhbs suggested I make a starter out of a quart of the applejuice...It took off fine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply