Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Smack Pack - Possible Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2007, 10:03 PM   #1
somecallmebub
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Smack Pack - Possible Issue

I smacked my 3068 Weihenstephan yeast an hour or so ago (for this recipe), but I'm not sure if the inner pouch burst. The inner packet feels pretty full inside still, but squishing it harder still doesn't seem to make any difference/

Now, this is only my 5th batch so I'm still pretty green, but I haven't had this issue before (with other yeasts), but it makes me wonder...
* is this normal for 3068?
* is this problematic?
* is the thing in the inner packet the yeast or the nutrient?
* is there something else I should try?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2007, 10:41 PM   #2
Bearcat Brewmeister
Pour, Drink, Pee, Repeat
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 7 Posts

Lay the pack flat and put you index fingers at the bottom 1/3rd in from each side. Hold the bottom down with your thumbs and slide your fingers up the pack. Your fingers should be able to slide off the other end, so if you hit a lot of resistance, you still have an unbroken inner pack. Smack the living daylights out of it - I have yet to break the outer seal by smacking it.

Primary:
--
Next Up: Baltic Porter, Saison
Projects: Brutus Strut-stand, Freezer Conversion (Done), HERMS (Done), Lager Fermentation Mini-fridge Extension (Done)
Drinking: Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald, Fuller's 1845, Lakefront Fixed Gear, New Glarus Moon Man, Tröegs Troegenator

Old 06-03-2007, 11:10 PM   #3
somecallmebub
Recipes 

Thanks for the encouragement, I guess I was just being a sissy. I went medieval on it with a colossal wooden spoon, and now everything's swell.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:12 PM   #4
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You picked a fine yeast! Good Brewing!

Quick Reply