Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Slow starter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
cee3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Slow starter

Ok, maybe I'm being impatient, but I pitched my yeast (White Labs Trappist - WLP500) last night to 2 qts of starter. I expected to see either significant activity or evidence of it this morning. Nothing. Yeast and starter both at room temp when pitched. I pumped some oxygen into it before pitching. I figure since White Labs calls the vial a "pitchable" yeast, meaning you should be able to throw it into 5 gal, that 2 qt should be nothing for it to handle. If it's just in a normal lag phase how long would it take to start 5 gal? Am I worrying needlessly? I'd RDWHAB if I had some (my first batch is in the secondary) and I'm at work.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2008, 06:02 PM   #2
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Like you said RDWHAHB!

It's probubly just eating up the oxygen you gave it and will start fermenting to. I HATE how they call those things 'pitchable yeast'. Sure, you could pitch it........if you want a long lag time.

You're doing fine, I bet it'll either be bubbling tonight or tomorrow.

Oh, what was the gravity of your starter??

Old 07-02-2008, 06:03 PM   #3
Warped04
I am Wally
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sometimes I don't see much activity with my starters, sometimes I see lots of activity. There are several factors. I mean sometimes they just ferment out so quickly, that you just plain ole miss the activity.

It's possible that the yeast wasn't very viable, and it's taking a little time to take off. There can be some lag. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If you are ultra-worried, I guess you could take a gravity reading.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:07 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warped04 View Post
Sometimes I don't see much activity with my starters, sometimes I see lots of activity. There are several factors. I mean sometimes they just ferment out so quickly, that you just plain ole miss the activity.

I agree. We're dealing with living things, and there's no predictability with living things. I've been harvesting a lot of pacman from bottles, and each batch is different. I've only had one of 5 batches that actually had a Krauzen in my flask that I actually saw, some had rings after they fell, some didn't, all the yeasties ver viable....It's the same with starters.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-02-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
cee3
Recipes 

Thanks for the reassurance. OG of the starter was about 1.040.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:30 PM   #6
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts

My starters are always inconsistent. One thing that has helped is smacking the pack before pitching. I live about 30 min from my LHBS. When I get in the car, I smack the pack. By the time I get home, the pack is showing signs of swelling. I let it swell some more, then pitch it into my flask of extra light DME "wort". I usually dont see activity for a while, and almost always miss fermentation. No worries, RDWHAHB!

Old 07-02-2008, 08:34 PM   #7
ChuckMoney
Recipes 

Anytime I've ever bought a white labs tube, I've been able to bring it to temperature and pitch it with very little lag. One time I got lazy and pitched it straight from the fridge and it only lagged for about 9 hrs before fermentation started. relax, dont worry, the yeasts know what they're doing.

Primary: Light/Dark American Wheat
Secondary: Odd Dark Pale Ale, Fruity Weisse
Bottled/Drinking: Pittsburgh style Old Ale, Angry Paul's Chocolate Ale, Honey-Chili Porter, Frankenbeer-y

Drawing Board: Belgian Dubbel

Old 07-02-2008, 08:47 PM   #8
chachi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I usually have lag from some WL tubes....this strain lagged when I first pitched it. I just re-pitched it from a primary fermentation and it went off without a hitch. But, the first pitch from the tube was over 24 hours before I saw anything.

: Empty
Secondary 2: Empty
Keg 1: "Wing Ding" Bohemian Lager
Keg 2: Empty
Keg 3: Empty
Keg 4: Empty
On Deck: Diapers and sleep

Old 07-02-2008, 10:23 PM   #9
cee3
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
One thing that has helped is smacking the pack before pitching. I live about 30 min from my LHBS. When I get in the car, I smack the pack. By the time I get home, the pack is showing signs of swelling....RDWHAHB!
I can't smack a White Labs tube. That's what I like about the Wyeast smack packs. You can tell the yeasts are busy before you even throw them into the starter.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:55 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee3 View Post
I can't smack a White Labs tube. That's what I like about the Wyeast smack packs. You can tell the yeasts are busy before you even throw them into the starter.
I like it..Yeasts getting busy...

Maybe you should play some Barry White to them.

[youtube]aS2Fve72AZg[/youtube]

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply