Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Slow start, to shake or not to shake?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2007, 11:50 PM   #1
pirate252
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Slow start, to shake or not to shake?

I am trying to get a fairly high OG lemonaid to start, it been about 20 hours now since I pitched (9 grams rehydrated dry yeast, then 14 more grams a few hours later) and its starting, but very slowly.

Should I shake it up some more or just let it be?

Thanks

Shear Force Brewery

Waiting on UPS/Time - BierMuncher's Six Shooter Pale, BierMuncher's Sterling Gold, BYO Porter
Primary's - Empty :(
Secondary's - EdWort's Apfelwein
On Tap - Mocha Oatmeal Stout (#2), Light, But Good

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2007, 11:53 PM   #2
Kayos
disclaimers are sissy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

No shaking after pitching. O2 can give off flavors. You can stir it slowly if you want, but I would let it be. Yeast doesn't wear a watch. It will be fine. RDWHAHB

Old 02-21-2007, 12:04 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Lemonade is a bugger to start, if you didn't make a starter. Add some yeast nutrient if you have it. You can stir it a bit, to get some oxygen to it. You can't oxygenate beer that way, but wine (and hard lemonade is more of a wine) is ok during primary.

Last edited by Yooper; 02-21-2007 at 12:00 PM.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:36 AM   #4
pirate252
Recipes 

I sort of made a starter, it was dried yeast so i was under the impression that you werent supossed to make a starter, i re hydrated it and added some of my 'wort' and it started foaming like crazy within a few minutes so i pitched it, and i did use some nutrients in my 'starters'

Shear Force Brewery

Waiting on UPS/Time - BierMuncher's Six Shooter Pale, BierMuncher's Sterling Gold, BYO Porter
Primary's - Empty :(
Secondary's - EdWort's Apfelwein
On Tap - Mocha Oatmeal Stout (#2), Light, But Good

Old 02-21-2007, 12:04 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

I've posted in the past about the trouble I've had getting lemonade to ferment. It has to do with the acidity.

You can try again with new yeast- the best thing to do is use the same type of yeast (I used wine yeast) and rehydrate it in a little warm water. Add a tiny watered down bit of your lemonade must and a little sugar. Keep doing that over the course of 2 days or so, gradually making it more and more lemonade mixture and less sugar and water. When you are adding 100% lemonade must, and it's still fermenting, go ahead and pitch it.

No need to cover/airlock it. It really needs oxygen during this time. You can cover it with a muslin cloth, or dishtowel to keep out the fruitflies, etc.

If you do a search on this board for "lemonade", you'll find the threads that talk about all this. I think its on the wine making area, but not sure.

Quick Reply