New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Slow Ferment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
Droot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Slow Ferment

I brewed an all grain batch last Sunday. After the boil over, I ended up with 11 gallons of 1.057 wort. I cooled it with an immersion chiller that took about an hour. (working on that). I hydrated 2 packs of S-05 yeast in 1.5 cups warm tap water. It started foaming like I expected, but the chiller took longer than I expected, so I gave the yeast a "shot" of wort I pulled from the brew kettle, about 80* f. Once the wort was down to 70*f, I pumped O2 into the kettle for one minutes NOT using a stone, just into the drain valve. This gives a head of foam to the top of the 15.5 brew kettle. After a whirlpool, I drained the wort into my fermenter pitching the yeast once there was about a gallon collected.

Day one.... about an inch of foam on top with a bunch of pellet hops (I used about 2 oz, the rest were whole hops) I skimmed that off with a sanitized stainless spoon and discarded it.

Day one gravity ... 1.050
Day 2....1.040
Day 3 ... 1.035
Day 4 ...1.025
Day 5 ... 1.016
Day 6 ...1.012

I can't see where I did anything wrong, The beer seems to be OK, tastes OK for the stage it is in.

This is my first time with S-05, I always used Wyeast liquid with a 3+ liter starter.

Temp was kept between 66 and 70*f, 68 most of the time. This is from the thermometer IN the beer.

I went to the website for the yeast, it says Temp should be between 59 and 75*f and ferment should be complete in 2-3 days. This is what I usually get with my big starter of liquid yeast.

Did I do something wrong? I don't think the beer is ruined, but I ferment in a 1/2 keg with the top cut out and just a lid on top.

Just Friday I ordered a 7 gal stainless conical fermenter so I will not be doing the open ferment thing any more..... I think..... I have brewed a lot of beer using the open ferment method with no problems, but I don't like leaving it in the primary any more than a week.

Really looking forward to the conical, I can draw the yeast off and leave it there for 3 weeks and for the first time I will try dry hopping.

David

Edit: Samples were drawn off the bottom from the valve and discarded after I tasted a sample. I found a small tube to put the hydrometer so I don't waste a bunch of beer sampling.

Yellow beer (pale ale) in keg

Chocolate stout In keg

Front Porch Porter in keg

weat beer and fruit in the conical

IPA of some kind on Deck!

I get more out of it when I put more into it. :)

Last edited by Droot; 06-28-2009 at 06:20 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
EonBlue66
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Everything looks fine to me you want to give it 7-10 days to ferment out, 1.012 @ day 6 is perfectly acceptable. RDWHAHB

We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.

Spiral out. Keep going, going...

Old 06-28-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2641 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 2147

Uh... where's is the problem. You seriously gotta RDWHAHB. You would not believe the disasters that await, and most of them result in beer!

Quick Reply