Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > skipping secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2008, 04:17 PM   #11
RickWG
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Used to secondary all the time per the sentiment on this forum. then I figured WHY am I doing all this extra work and chance of getting infected? Never had a problem and usually bottle in 3-4 weeks anyway. figure it gives the yeast a chance to finish their job and don't have to take fg readings until I bottle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2008, 04:28 PM   #12
brewNdrink
Recipes 

Hmmm... Doesn't it depend on the type of beer you want to make? I mean, a stout or darker beer can simply stay in the primary for a few weeks. But if you want a blonde clear summer beer wouldn't a secondary be a good idea just to get the clearity?

Should I dare to simply use the primary and bottle/keg (using the tap-a-draft) and expect the same clearity that I get from doing the secondary method?

Old 03-25-2008, 06:15 PM   #13
count barleywine
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

technically, each bottle or keg is itself a secondary. All its doing is clearing and aging, the vessel is not important. Therefore you should, in time, get just as clear beer as with a proper secondary. I've done a super light summer ale in primary only, and by the time they were drinkable, they were crystal clear. But, some yeast stay in suspension longer by nature, the above beer was a dry yeast and they tend to settle out quick and thoroughly.

I have a question on this topic: Some say that with the prolonged primary, the yeast are still cleaning up ferm. flavors and such. Wouldn't this still occur in the secondary? there is still much yeast in suspension, enough to form another cake in the secondary. I would also assume that the cleaning up of flavors is happening throughout the wort by the suspended yeast, not just near the cake. I haven't read anything along these lines in the recent "2ndary or no 2ndary" threads, and have been wondering about it much lately.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:16 PM   #14
wedge421
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I always do 10-14 in a primary then I transfer it to a corny keg and force carb. Never had an issue.

Quick Reply