Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > skipping the secondary

View Poll Results: Do you use a secondary fermenter?
Always skip a secondary fermenter 45 17.65%
Never skip a secondary fermenter 141 55.29%
Only use a secondary when dry hopping 20 7.84%
Other 49 19.22%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2007, 02:39 PM   #71
fins2rit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
I put the fermenter in my freezer with my kegs that are carbing. It's about 37 degrees in there. Here's my Stone IPA cooling that'll I'll keg and dry hop this Sunday.

Off to the right, you can see a cup of water covered with plastic wrap with my thermometer probe and next to it is Damp Rid which keeps condensation at bay. Hanging on the left side is the thermistor from the Johnson Controller which keeps the freezer at 37 degrees. I have three cornies in there connected to a 5# CO2 bottle via a simple stainless T. No leaks and they stay connected at 12 PSI till I'm ready to pull one and put it the keggerator.

My Kegerator uses the same setup for dispensing 3 kegs of Brew. A simple stainless T splits my gas line to 3 kegs.

how long do you leave them on 12 psi? I just started kegging and have was wondering how long you can leave the keg carbonated? I always thought it would get stale?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2007, 03:00 PM   #72
Whelk
Recipes 

I always secondary, unless I'm making a wheat beer.

Nothing until I figure out if I can make it happen over in the UK.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:13 PM   #73
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort

Ed, what model is that fridge? Mines a danby and has that damn compressor hump/shelf at the back, so I can only fit 2 cornies in there.

Who ever asked. My 12g carboys are polypropylene. Your not going to have problems with O2 unless your beer has gone completely flat and has been in there for months, not weeks.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 04-11-2007, 10:23 PM   #74
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

If I don't use a secondary, I run out of primaries

-a.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:10 PM   #75
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf
If I don't use a secondary, I run out of primaries

-a.
pretty much why i rack it, too. i need to get another primary carboy cuz i'm brewing way too much (is that possible?)

glad i read this thread. I'm brewing my own hefeweizen expiriment right now and i've now decided not to rack it. I'll just buy a new carboy (or use my roomates) while i'm waiting for it to finish.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:40 PM   #76
jcarson83

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

Just started a new thread on this, guess I should have looked harder. I've skipping secondary with good results. I guess I just don't understand the difference between secondary and sitting in the bottles for 3-4 weeks.

Whats the difference between a cold crash before bottling and chilling the bottles for a few days in the fridge before drinking?

Old 09-02-2008, 06:29 PM   #77
jcarson83

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

Bump. I know there are more people out there to vote on this.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:45 PM   #78
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I'm not answering the poll, as there is no "Usually" or "Sometimes Skip Secondary" option.

My last ten batches, I've skipped the secondary, and left my beer in the primary for 3-6 weeks. I have to be more careful when racking, but otherwise I've noticed no difference in quality or clarity. I also crash cool for a few days before kegging or bottling, which I'm sure helps. Most batches were kegged, two of them were bottled.

My lightest beer ever (a Kolsch) spent six weeks in primary, and ended up being absolutely crystal clear...you could read the paper through it.

Unless I make something with an extremely high OG that needs extensive aging (barleywine or the like) I'm skipping the secondaries from here on out. And I'm a fanatic for clarity. Even if it doesn't detract from the taste, I think visual appeal really contributes to enjoyment of a fine beer.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:54 PM   #79
BrewDey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is a great debate. I've used secondaries before, but have given it up. The end product is not different enough IMO to go through the extra work, and more importantly-put the beer at risk. I usually primary for a month, am careful to not disturb the yeast cake while racking to the bottling bucket, then bottle condition for a good long while.

I'd likely do it differently if I kegged, but since I only bottle-this seems to work. If you bottle carb/condition, a beer 1 week after bottling will taste worse (green) and be cloudier than the flat beer right out of the fermenter. Once it is carbed, the yeast will condition the beer and settle out. I guess I never understood the great benefit of secondaries since you still need to allow for this second phase of fermentation/conditioning anyway. Once it's bottled, I try not to even try one for 4 weeks...much of the time, it'll be ready-if not, just let it sit for a few more weeks and repeat.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:30 PM   #80
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I almost always use a secondary. I like to have my 6.5 gallon carboys free, plus it allows for long term aging without taking up a keg.

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Quick Reply