Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > skin on wort after boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #1
Odin_Brews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default skin on wort after boil

I brewed BM's Black Pearl Porter yesterday and while chilling the wort it developed this kind of skin on top, like fat in milk for example. Anyway I skimmed it off with a sanitized strainer and Im not concerned about the beer really (it's bubbling away). It's just bothering me, Ive seen that before, any thoughts as to what or why?

Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
PtreeCreekBrew
Recipes 

I get that every once in a while, too, sometimes during the boil (or if boil briefly subsides). Typically with darker beers, ie, just happened two days ago with my frankenstout.

I've never had a problem with it, always just seen it as a "huh, that's funny." Never skimmed it, never seen/tasted anything strange as a result, but I'd be interested to know what's up with it.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 428 Posts
Likes Given: 207

If it's during the boil it's the "hot break" material and if during the chill it's the "cold break" material. Basically both will settle out without much problem.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 11-13-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
Odin_Brews
Recipes 

It's not hot or cold break, and doesn't settle to the bottom of the kettle with cooling like breaks tend to. The beer is fermenting like a beast at the moment and Im sure it's fine, more of an academic question really....had to pack the fermenter up with ice to cool her down! first ferment ive had where wort temps rose up to 8 degrees higher than ambient air temp

Old 11-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 428 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin_Brews
It's not hot or cold break, and doesn't settle to the bottom of the kettle with cooling like breaks tend to. The beer is fermenting like a beast at the moment and Im sure it's fine, more of an academic question really....had to pack the fermenter up with ice to cool her down! first ferment ive had where wort temps rose up to 8 degrees higher than ambient air temp
Do you use Irish moss or whirfloc? If not it could be proteins that did not coagulate out and settle, just a thought.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 11-14-2012, 06:39 AM   #6
Odin_Brews
Recipes 

I did not use irish moss as I usually do. I agree it must be some proteins, perhaps something from the darker grains.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
Herky21
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PtreeCreekBrew View Post
I get that every once in a while, too, sometimes during the boil (or if boil briefly subsides). Typically with darker beers, ie, just happened two days ago with my frankenstout.

I've never had a problem with it, always just seen it as a "huh, that's funny." Never skimmed it, never seen/tasted anything strange as a result, but I'd be interested to know what's up with it.
what is this Frankenstout you speak of?

Dried Apricot Cider Ale
Indeed "Burr Grinder" Clone
Breakfast in Beer
Pumpkin Latte
Heady the Elder
Primary:

(1) Therman Merman (IPA)

Secondary:
(1) Drunken Donut aging on Sugar Whiskey Staves, vanilla beans, knob creek, and disarrono.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
PtreeCreekBrew
Recipes 

Haha, the beer I described in my thread "Irish Ale No Start."

Basically, I made two batches of a dry Irish stout without any base malt (idiot move in which I subbed brown malt in for MO...twice), then used those two batches as the brewing liquor for a batch of 12 lb MO.

It's....something... It went like crazy for the first 2 days, seems to be hovering around 1.040 right now. That wouldn't surprise me, would imply that the stuff in the liquor didn't convert. I was hoping that the big batch of MO would have enough diastatic power to convert the starches in the false batches. If it didn't work...oh well. I'll have a decently fermented, carb-heavy, stoutlike beer. Definitely not what I was going for, but that's what I get for making changes willy nilly and ignoring science.

Quick Reply