Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Siphoning sucks?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2014, 10:48 PM   #1
McLovinBeast57
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Siphoning sucks?

Hey guys, wondering what techniques you use to siphon or if there are any alternatives?

I'm using an auto-siphon but every time I do, it stops with like 5 inches of wort left and I can't pump it without mixing up all of the trub at the bottom...
I'm not sure what to do because I keep having to leave more and more wort in the fermenter each time I siphon and it's really a shame to dump all that out.

Is there something I'm missing, or any tools I can buy to improve my siphoning process?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 10:55 PM   #2
Falcon3
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 47

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/siph...rboy-cap-2910/

This. Siphoning does suck. If you're siphoning from carboy to keg, you can use your co2 to pressurize the carboy (very low pressure) and push the beer out the siphon. After it's started, you're golden.

If siphoning from bucket to carboy or vice versa- do the above or follow that link.

If you're having too much trouble with your trub getting sucked up, cold crash the beer and then siphon while it's still cold- it will compact the sediment and trub at the bottom and you won't suck up near as much.

I hate siphoning.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:39 PM   #3
govner1
Raconteur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I honestly don't understand the technical difficulty w / using an auto-siphon. I've used one for years and rarely leave more than a small "puddle" if beer in my carboy & secondary & keg condition all my beers. Each step requiring siphoning.
You should consider the clip Auto-siphon sells that helps hold your siphon tip on the edge of your carboy.
Obviously, it does require your attention & you may need to slowly tip your carboy as the fluid level gets lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 04-16-2014, 11:42 PM   #4
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Ferment in Sanke kegs... one of the best things I ever did.

Keg #1: Brown Bomber Bourbon/Oak Vanilla Porter
Keg #2: Lawnmower APA
Bottled: Mjolnir Mead, Lazy Daze Hefe.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:47 PM   #5
Jay-Brew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

As govner1 says tip it slowly as the level gets close to the bottom. This is what I do and I can get pretty much all of it.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:54 PM   #6
McLovinBeast57
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by govner1 View Post
I honestly don't understand the technical difficulty w / using an auto-siphon. I've used one for years and rarely leave more than a small "puddle" if beer in my carboy & secondary & keg condition all my beers. Each step requiring siphoning.
You should consider the clip Auto-siphon sells that helps hold your siphon tip on the edge of your carboy.
Obviously, it does require your attention & you may need to slowly tip your carboy as the fluid level gets lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've done that as well... I wonder if there's an issue with getting a good suction or if I have a defective siphon... Do you find that the stream will stop multiple times throughout the process?

Old 04-17-2014, 12:40 AM   #7
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 364

Always hated screwing around siphoning too..... I switched to fermenting in bottling buckets, and recently added a couple Stainless Steel Brew Buckets. Having the spigot for transferring is great. Also makes it easy to harvest yeast. Gotta pay a bit more attention to detail as far as cleaning and sanitizing - but, I have not siphoned anything in the last couple hundred batches and would never go back. I primary in the bottling bucket, put a hose on the spigot and drain into a keg, carbonate..... and that is it.

Primary: Heady Topper Clone, Session IPA, Porter, Plain ol American Ale
Secondary/Lagering:
Future Brews: Heady Topper Clone, Ordinary Bitter, Dortmunder, Pilsner, Scottish 70, More...... More....... Beer.......

Old 04-17-2014, 12:56 AM   #8
OleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovinBeast57 View Post
I've done that as well... I wonder if there's an issue with getting a good suction or if I have a defective siphon... Do you find that the stream will stop multiple times throughout the process?
I would make sure your hose is secure to the auto siphon, any air leaks would result in loss of siphon. Also a good siphon relies on gravity, the higher the liquid and longer hose results in a faster siphon. I remember fighting the auto siphon drove me nuts, after fixing the air leak where the hose attaches it fixed my problems.

Cheers
D

Old 04-17-2014, 01:02 AM   #9
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 679 Times on 576 Posts
Likes Given: 173

I also don't understand the problems with an autosiphon. The way to get the most out of the vessel is to tip it so than the wort is deeper. I usually have to stop the siphon to keep from transferring trub. I might lose 1/2 a bottle at most.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:05 AM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Two things will mess with the autosiphon's ability to work. The first is if the tubing is not tight on the cane.. If you use 3/8" ID tubing, that's usually the culprit. It's better to use 5/16" ID tubing that fits TIGHT! If that's not the source of the air leak, sometimes the seal at the bottom of the cane will get too compressed and leak there. It's best to hit it with some hot water, fan the seal out a bit and store it OUTSIDE of the larger tube. If you store it put together, it will mess up the seal over time.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?
MannyZ Likes This 

Quick Reply