Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Siphon Hose quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2007, 06:01 PM   #1
rdwj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Default Siphon Hose quality

For C02 and serving lines, I know I have to use properly graded tubing, but how about siphon tubes? Is the cheap tubing available at the hardware store sufficient?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2007, 06:11 PM   #2
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I try and stick with food grade plastic tubing. I tried to cheap clear tubing from the hardware store and it didn't hold up well. After a couple of uses, it got cloudy on the inside. I got my first and only infected batch about the same time, so I began to question if that cloudiness was from the acidity of wort and/or my hard water when I soaked them to get them clean. I eventually tossed them.

I have used some green tubing that was used for household hot and cold water. My buddy Chris gave it to me, as he had extra leftover when he got a new water softener. It holds up better and I occasionally use it for bottling.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:04 PM   #3
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoobarb
I try and stick with food grade plastic tubing. I tried to cheap clear tubing from the hardware store and it didn't hold up well. After a couple of uses, it got cloudy on the inside. I got my first and only infected batch about the same time, so I began to question if that cloudiness was from the acidity of wort and/or my hard water when I soaked them to get them clean. I eventually tossed them.

I have used some green tubing that was used for household hot and cold water. My buddy Chris gave it to me, as he had extra leftover when he got a new water softener. It holds up better and I occasionally use it for bottling.
Outside of the HBS's, where would I be able to find food grade tubing? I have a wine that I'm going to need to bottle soon and I accidentally bought a 1/2" bottle filler.

I guess I could try to heat up the tubing I have and make it fit, but I'd rather have the right stuff and I don't really want to make a special trip for it.

Quick Reply