Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Single pump manifold layout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
mgude
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Single pump manifold layout

I have an electric brew system with a single pump that I have been using for almost a year now. At this point I spend a lot of time moving hoses to route hot liquids to where they need to go and cleaning up spills from draining hoses. What I would like to do is build a manifold to control the routing so I don't dump so much and I won't have to unhook hoses and risk burning myself (once was enough). I'd love to get some input before I start building.

So, this is my layout idea:
http://imgur.com/eOUkg

Some explaination:
* The flow from HLT to MT is gravity fed.

* The MLT & HERMS outflow will both run through the same silicone hose (switched as needed) into the mash.

* The CFC outflow will be manually moved to fill the fermenter once the temperature is low enough

* The quick releases are there mostly to make clean up easier.

Some questions:
* Is there any reason to have the hose in on the upstream side of the pump?

* Is the BK outflow from the pump redundant? Can I just route everything through the CFC?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Look into 3-way diverter valves, you could use 2 to replace 6 individual ones. I use Kent QD's ( http://bargainfittings.com ), they are inexpensive, work great, and make hose cleaning very easy.

You could route everything through the CFC but it will increase your fluid loss a bit.

Hose question: It would make flushing the pump and valves a bit easier

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 10-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
ETCS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use one pump for sparge and pumping from the brew kettle through the Thermenator to the fermentor. I just put a "T" in the middle and a valve on each side. Works like a champ.

Quick Reply