Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Single Infusion Oktoberfest, is melanoidin malt needed?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
BostonBrewins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Single Infusion Oktoberfest, is melanoidin malt needed?

I plan on brewing an Oktoberfest with a grain bill consisting of Vienna malt, some Munich II, and a little Caramunich. I would like to avoid doing a decotion. Should I expect a nice malty character or will a single infusion fail to bring out the melanoidin flavor? Should I add some melanoidin malt and if so, how much?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
mlg5039
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I would add it if not doing a decoction. You need it if you want to produce a really authentic Oktoberfest.

It no doubt will still be a really nice beer without it though.

It is not certain that everything is uncertain.

Primary:BCS Clone
Secondary:Oud bruin (2), Raspberry melomel
Bottled: Oktoberfest, Imperial Punkin
Kegged: Wild Ale, Dark Mild
Gallons to date 2012: 47

Old 08-26-2011, 11:00 PM   #3
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 21

If you believe those who say decoctions do not add any flavor then adding a specialty malt to substitute for a flavor that is claimed not to be there does not make sense. If you believe decotions do add flavor you could add a little Melanoidin, however, IMO the flavors added are not the same. As you already have CaraMunich in the recipe I would only use one, not both.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
markg388
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

the most important things i've noticed to getting a nice malty character is keeping the hops away from the kettle after your bittering addition and focusing on a perfect fermentation.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
0110x011
Recipes 

Decoction is controversial enough that you won't get a straight answer here. I personally am in the camp that if you focus on a perfect fermentation, you'll make a great beer. For my Oktoberfest that I'm brewing next month, I'll be adding 1/4lb Melanoidin, but more to add complexity than replicate a decoction.

If you want to go through the whole decoction process, go for it. If not, you can still make a killer beer.

Check out my blog: Small Batch Brewing, and/or follow me on twitter @SmallBatchBrew

And watch my show! www.NewBrewThursday.com

Primary:
Secondary: Sour Red, Saison Tarté Noire, Flemish Red A/B, Flemish Oud Pale, Sour Experiment A/B/C/D
Kegged: Summer Spiced Saison, Rakau Pale Ale, Saison d' Tablé, International IPA, Belgian Witbier
Bottled: OaksterDAMN Barleywine, Saison Noire, Royale with Cheese, Awkward Encounter Wild Ale

Quick Reply