I did a double batch of oktoberfest last weekend, i filled up two six gallon better bottles.
I whirlpooled. The first bottle: all clean wort. The second bottle: some trub toward the end (no hops though, just break material I'm pretty sure) entered bottle.
There has been a bit of discussion on these boards recently about the possible effects of break material on fermentation. So, inadvertently, I have the makings for a little experiment.
unfortunately, I brew at my parents house, but I don't live there, so the two batches have been doing their thing since last Monday without any supervision by me beyond daily descriptions from my dad via phone (not ideal!).
They are in two separate temp controlled mini-fridges, fermenting at 50, and since yesterday I did a diacetal (sp?) rest at 60.
things i don't know: which took off first. the general vigor of fermentation between the two.
results so far:
I returned home today to find that the clean batch is already finished, and that it blew off half a quart or so into the blowoff jar. The dirty batch is still chugging away, at what I would describe as a moderate tempo.
While some people may be inclined to think that the clean batch "won" so far I'm a little worried: I'm suspicious that it is finished because it didn't attenuate fully. And I'll bet that the dirty one finishes drier: after all they have been down for only 8 days, fermenting at 50 degrees, with a starting gravity of 1.055, so I'm a little surprised the one is finished. More so because the dirty one is still in full swing, milky looking with **** flying all around.
I will report back in another week with finishing gravities (what you really care about) and taste impressions.