Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Should I Not Oxygenate Primary Lambic Wort?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2008, 03:28 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Should I Not Oxygenate Primary Lambic Wort?

I don't wanna bother JZ with another line of questions on this so I'm just going to throw it out there:

I'm brewing a lambic (which will one day be a kriek) and going JZ-style: fermenting with clean ale yeast first, then racking to secondary and adding bugs there. This is what I did with my Flanders Red (which finished at 1.019 with the S-05, which I think is a bit low), and the trick is to have a lackluster ale fermentation so that you have low attenuation and thus leave behind more sugars than usual for the bugs to munch on. On the show, he mentions keeping it a little cold, maybe 65f, which I'm going to do, and I'll also mash a little high and maybe even add some maltodextrin powder. But I was also thinking that I could stunt the ale fermentation by simply not oxygenating the wort.

What say ye?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2008, 03:53 PM   #2
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I like the no oxygen idea and fermenting at 65. I think that should give you a low attenuation without really harming the fermentation that does occur.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:51 PM   #3
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

If you're fermenting with Saccharomyces first, then it really isn't going to be a lambic (or a plambic, if you're gonna be anal about it).

Are you planning a turbid mash? That is what is going to leave a lot of the unfermentables available for the wild yeast and bacteria to work on.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:09 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef View Post
If you're fermenting with Saccharomyces first, then it really isn't going to be a lambic (or a plambic, if you're gonna be anal about it).

Are you planning a turbid mash? That is what is going to leave a lot of the unfermentables available for the wild yeast and bacteria to work on.
Having never done a Lambic before, and being quite terrified of waiting a year and a half and finding out something's not right about it, I'm pretty much following JZ's instructions to a tee. I even emailed him directly to ask about a few things. Me, I'm more concerned with the quality of the beer than with adhering to traditional Belgian technique restrictions. If it means I can't call it a lambic or a kriek, that's cool---it'll be Evan's Oude Sour F*ckin' Cherry Bier. As long as it's a good sour beer.

Anyway, what Jamil says is, unless you plan on blending young and old batches (which I don't, since I don't have a dozen extra carboys to spare for 2 years), this method of weakly fermenting out the maltose with ale yeast first, then getting the bugs to finish the job, gives you the correct sourness without having to worry about blending.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Quick Reply