Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Should I cold-crash my dubbel?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
homebrewbeliever
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
homebrewbeliever's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 308
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Should I cold-crash my dubbel?

Hey HBT community! So I am brewing my first dubbel (which looks and smells great), and I am wondering if I should cold-crash it after I secondary it. I'm doing a 2-week primary and a 3-week secondary. If I should cold crash it, how long should I cold crash it for before I bottle it?

__________________

For eclectic escapades in home-brewed deliciousness:
http://homebrewbeliever.blogspot.com

homebrewbeliever is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
libeerty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 495
Liked 101 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default

You may want to primary a bit longer, especially if you're not taking gravity readings. If this means skipping the secondary, that's fine. Then cold crash 2-3 days, and bottle. Age that badboy! Mine is getting so so so much better, now entering its fifth month of aging. J

__________________

Tried to keep up with this signature, but just couldn't.

libeerty is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: !, !
Posts: 1,224
Liked 75 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default

What is the starting gravity? For a hgh gravity dubbel I would primary at leat a month to six weeks,then secondary(as long as gravity is where it should be) if I felt it was needed.

__________________
BrewerBear is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
beergolf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: collingswood, nj
Posts: 4,128
Liked 409 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Default

For my Belgian brews I usually go 5-8 week in the primary, and don't bother with a secondary. You can crash if you want but I usually do not. Bottle them up and give them some time to age. Belgian yeasts do change with time so put some aside to age. I usually put 1/2 in 12 oz bottles and start slowly drinking those after about a month to six weeks. The other half goes into 22oz bottle and these get aged.

__________________
beergolf is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
homebrewbeliever
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
homebrewbeliever's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 308
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewerBear
What is the starting gravity? For a hgh gravity dubbel I would primary at leat a month to six weeks,then secondary(as long as gravity is where it should be) if I felt it was needed.
The OG is 1.062, which is not SUPER high or anything... Do you really think it'll take six weeks?
__________________

For eclectic escapades in home-brewed deliciousness:
http://homebrewbeliever.blogspot.com

homebrewbeliever is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
homebrewbeliever
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
homebrewbeliever's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 308
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergolf
For my Belgian brews I usually go 5-8 week in the primary, and don't bother with a secondary. You can crash if you want but I usually do not. Bottle them up and give them some time to age. Belgian yeasts do change with time so put some aside to age. I usually put 1/2 in 12 oz bottles and start slowly drinking those after about a month to six weeks. The other half goes into 22oz bottle and these get aged.
How long do you typically age them for before you find them to be yummy? I have a Belgian Golden Strong that I bottled recently (its still bottle conditioning and wont be carbed for another week), and I tasted it during bottling and it was so over the top with esters and crazy flavors... I know that bad boy needs to sit for quite some time, but about how long would you think?
__________________

For eclectic escapades in home-brewed deliciousness:
http://homebrewbeliever.blogspot.com

homebrewbeliever is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: !, !
Posts: 1,224
Liked 75 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default

It may not take that long,but I let almost all of my beer sit 3 to 4 weeks also I really like dubbels and would want to give it the time to make sure it comes out right. Once bottled i would wait 3 weeks before testing one,like most beers I'm sure it would get better with age. What recipe did you use?

__________________
BrewerBear is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #8
homebrewbeliever
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
homebrewbeliever's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 308
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewerBear
It may not take that long,but I let almost all of my beer sit 3 to 4 weeks also I really like dubbels and would want to give it the time to make sure it comes out right. Once bottled i would wait 3 weeks before testing one,like most beers I'm sure it would get better with age. What recipe did you use?
I slightly modified the all grain belgian golden strong recipe from northern brewer. Also, I added cherry extract on bottling.
__________________

For eclectic escapades in home-brewed deliciousness:
http://homebrewbeliever.blogspot.com

homebrewbeliever is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #9
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
beergolf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: collingswood, nj
Posts: 4,128
Liked 409 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewbeliever View Post
How long do you typically age them for before you find them to be yummy? I have a Belgian Golden Strong that I bottled recently (its still bottle conditioning and wont be carbed for another week), and I tasted it during bottling and it was so over the top with esters and crazy flavors... I know that bad boy needs to sit for quite some time, but about how long would you think?
It really depends on the brew. A dubbel I will start tasting at about a month. A BDSA I may give it two months for the first taste. Most of the time they will be good at a couple of months but the high gravity brews really do change for the better with time. I like about 5 months for BDSA's but I have one that is about a year and a half old that is awesome. So try them as you go, but definitely set some aside to age.
__________________
beergolf is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 02:37 AM   #10
homebrewbeliever
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
homebrewbeliever's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 308
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergolf View Post
It really depends on the brew. A dubbel I will start tasting at about a month. A BDSA I may give it two months for the first taste. Most of the time they will be good at a couple of months but the high gravity brews really do change for the better with time. I like about 5 months for BDSA's but I have one that is about a year and a half old that is awesome. So try them as you go, but definitely set some aside to age.
Word. I'll taste as I go, but its nice to have a general ballpark from someone who's brewed them before. I'll wait on it for a few months before trying one.
__________________

For eclectic escapades in home-brewed deliciousness:
http://homebrewbeliever.blogspot.com

homebrewbeliever is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools




Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS