Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   General Techniques (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/)
-   -   Should I cold-crash my dubbel? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/should-i-cold-crash-my-dubbel-351804/)

homebrewbeliever 09-03-2012 08:06 AM

Should I cold-crash my dubbel?
 
Hey HBT community! So I am brewing my first dubbel (which looks and smells great), and I am wondering if I should cold-crash it after I secondary it. I'm doing a 2-week primary and a 3-week secondary. If I should cold crash it, how long should I cold crash it for before I bottle it?

libeerty 09-03-2012 12:03 PM

You may want to primary a bit longer, especially if you're not taking gravity readings. If this means skipping the secondary, that's fine. Then cold crash 2-3 days, and bottle. Age that badboy! Mine is getting so so so much better, now entering its fifth month of aging. J

BrewerBear 09-03-2012 03:06 PM

What is the starting gravity? For a hgh gravity dubbel I would primary at leat a month to six weeks,then secondary(as long as gravity is where it should be) if I felt it was needed.

beergolf 09-03-2012 04:30 PM

For my Belgian brews I usually go 5-8 week in the primary, and don't bother with a secondary. You can crash if you want but I usually do not. Bottle them up and give them some time to age. Belgian yeasts do change with time so put some aside to age. I usually put 1/2 in 12 oz bottles and start slowly drinking those after about a month to six weeks. The other half goes into 22oz bottle and these get aged.

homebrewbeliever 09-03-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrewerBear
What is the starting gravity? For a hgh gravity dubbel I would primary at leat a month to six weeks,then secondary(as long as gravity is where it should be) if I felt it was needed.

The OG is 1.062, which is not SUPER high or anything... Do you really think it'll take six weeks?

homebrewbeliever 09-03-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beergolf
For my Belgian brews I usually go 5-8 week in the primary, and don't bother with a secondary. You can crash if you want but I usually do not. Bottle them up and give them some time to age. Belgian yeasts do change with time so put some aside to age. I usually put 1/2 in 12 oz bottles and start slowly drinking those after about a month to six weeks. The other half goes into 22oz bottle and these get aged.

How long do you typically age them for before you find them to be yummy? I have a Belgian Golden Strong that I bottled recently (its still bottle conditioning and wont be carbed for another week), and I tasted it during bottling and it was so over the top with esters and crazy flavors... I know that bad boy needs to sit for quite some time, but about how long would you think?

BrewerBear 09-04-2012 11:04 AM

It may not take that long,but I let almost all of my beer sit 3 to 4 weeks also I really like dubbels and would want to give it the time to make sure it comes out right. Once bottled i would wait 3 weeks before testing one,like most beers I'm sure it would get better with age. What recipe did you use?

homebrewbeliever 09-04-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrewerBear
It may not take that long,but I let almost all of my beer sit 3 to 4 weeks also I really like dubbels and would want to give it the time to make sure it comes out right. Once bottled i would wait 3 weeks before testing one,like most beers I'm sure it would get better with age. What recipe did you use?

I slightly modified the all grain belgian golden strong recipe from northern brewer. Also, I added cherry extract on bottling.

beergolf 09-04-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebrewbeliever (Post 4383402)
How long do you typically age them for before you find them to be yummy? I have a Belgian Golden Strong that I bottled recently (its still bottle conditioning and wont be carbed for another week), and I tasted it during bottling and it was so over the top with esters and crazy flavors... I know that bad boy needs to sit for quite some time, but about how long would you think?

It really depends on the brew. A dubbel I will start tasting at about a month. A BDSA I may give it two months for the first taste. Most of the time they will be good at a couple of months but the high gravity brews really do change for the better with time. I like about 5 months for BDSA's but I have one that is about a year and a half old that is awesome. So try them as you go, but definitely set some aside to age.

homebrewbeliever 09-05-2012 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beergolf (Post 4386556)
It really depends on the brew. A dubbel I will start tasting at about a month. A BDSA I may give it two months for the first taste. Most of the time they will be good at a couple of months but the high gravity brews really do change for the better with time. I like about 5 months for BDSA's but I have one that is about a year and a half old that is awesome. So try them as you go, but definitely set some aside to age.

Word. I'll taste as I go, but its nice to have a general ballpark from someone who's brewed them before. I'll wait on it for a few months before trying one. :mug:


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:00 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.