The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Shake, shake shake it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
jamesrm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Shake, shake shake it?

How many of you shake your primaries to get the cake suspended during fermentation, and when/how often do you shake it? Is more than 3 times playing with it?

Check out the Tennessee Brewers Club!

On Tap:
1. Edwort's Haus Ale
2. 312 Fruity

Fermenting:
1. Something Like Stella
2. Bohemian Pilsner - Silver Medalist
3. Edwort's Robust Porter

Conditioning
1. 40 gallons 2007 Muscadine Wine
2. Honkers Ale Clone from BTW Thread
3. El Dictator IIPA
4. Oktoberfest

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Never. If I think the fermentation is stuck I'll give it a gentle swirl, but never shake.

-Joe

Old 01-15-2009, 03:46 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

You mean to knock down the krausen???

Why do you want to do that? It won't make your beer done faster or anything....and you may be introducing too much O2 if you do so...

The point is that during the end of fermentation it falls and helps clear the beer by pulling all manner of nasties that are in suspension down with it...and it's a natural process and should happen at it's own time...

Don't impose YOUR timeframe on beer brewing...It's not your timeframe it's the yeasties...they're in charge..Believe it or not your only job is putting together a clean factory well stocked with materials, which you did...

When you deal with living microorganisms, you surrender to their timeframe, regardless of what any instructions, or any impatience/excitement might dictate..

A lot of us pitch yeast and come back a month later to bottle or keg, letting the little buggers have plenty of time to not only work but to clean up after they're done.

This isn't making coolaid, it is a game of patience.

If you still have krauzen then LEAVE IT ALONE!!! It's still fermenting

At the minimum we recommend that if you do plan on secondary, that you wait til 10-14 days after you pitched your yeast (and when the hydrometer reading for three consequetive days is constant.)

But like I said many of us leave the beer alone for 3-4 (use the search for long primary yeast clean up themselves or no secondary for explanations why.)

But until then...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-15-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
IPA_33
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I never shake it either.

Revvy's post says it all basically.

Just add more hops!

Old 01-15-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 112 Posts

meh. you're all crazy. it's another boogie-man. revvy, i'm dissapointed in you...you're supposed to dispel these rumors

vigourously swirling the carboy will not negatively affect your beer. it will finish faster, it will ensure it attenuates fully, it will allow you to ferment at cooler temperatures, etc.

i have a friend that's been shaking his carboy for years. i never touched mine and they always did fine, with enough time, but i tried it a few times and now it's a regular habit...i always shake them throughout the first few days of fermentation.

unless you are actually opening the top or there is a leak, no oxygen is going to get in your beer from shaking. there is a blanket of co2 over it and all the oxygen was pushed out during the first day of fermentation. besides, any o2 that gets in there, the yeast will eat up. as long as fermentation is still active you don't have to worry about oxidation.

always take care to prevent oxidation of your beer after fermentation has completed or even begins to slow...but don't worry about it during fermentation.

shake it if you want to. it's not necessary, but it's not going to oxidate your beer. it may even be helpful with large beers or to keep yeast active in lower temperatures.

take that, boogeyman!

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 01-15-2009, 04:48 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
meh. you're all crazy. it's another boogie-man. revvy, i'm dissapointed in you...you're supposed to dispel these rumors

Uh...i think you misread his original post...it appears he's talking about knocking down the krausen, you know...like while it's still fermenting?

If that's his intent, then I stand by what I said originally...So bite me

But are you saying you advocate that?

EDIT Wait...Rereading it...now I'm even more confused...is the OPsaying he thinks shaking it MAKES the krauzen happen faster???

If by shaking he means aerating pre pitching then I take my original post back...

I'm thoroughly confused now...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 01-15-2009 at 04:53 PM.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:49 PM   #7
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

absolutely. didn't you read my post.

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 01-15-2009, 04:58 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
absolutely. didn't you read my post.
You're not talking about krausen...knocking it down or otherwise....

Old 01-15-2009, 04:59 PM   #9
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

on my Witbier i shook it daily after Krausen dropped a bit. A few times it started up again. Most of the time after krausen drops , usually on 8 day, i will shake it to get yeasties that are stuck on top sides into suspension. If they flocculate out great, if not they keep fermenting. If I am doing something wrong, I'd like to know???

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 01-15-2009, 05:01 PM   #10
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
You're not talking about krausen...knocking it down or otherwise....
shaking during primary fermentation would indeed make the krausen drop down a bit, and then kick right back up.

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Quick Reply