Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Serious Brewing Browny points!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default Serious Brewing Browny points!

Do some luandry with the chiller water.
1 scoop of oxyclean a few dunks and changes of water and it's done.

Hang out the stuff in the washer as well and it's happy days all round.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2008, 08:44 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just hook up my outlet hose to the sprinkler and water the lawn/garden. I waste nothing. It's easier to justify using the IC in the hot summertime when your lawn is dying because there's been no rain in a month.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 09-08-2008, 08:49 PM   #3
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 403 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Rain fills water butts. Water butts fill pond. I pump pond water to water the garden. Rain fills water butts again. When I get my set up in the garage, wort chiller will fill pond too.

I hate waste too! Good tip Orfy!

Old 09-08-2008, 08:55 PM   #4
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I usually water the plants from the outflow of the chiller. Either that or use it as I am cleaning mash tun, carboy, etc.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:01 PM   #5
DrinksWellWithOthers
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
I just hook up my outlet hose to the sprinkler and water the lawn/garden. I waste nothing.
I did that one time this summer and I got a written warning because I was not watering my lawn on the designated day during the summer when my town sometimes has "water sprinkling policies". Basically if your address is an even number, you can water on even days and vice versa.

I tried explaining to the guy that I'm brewing and I'd just have to dump it down the drain then and would be wasting water which is kind of the whole purpose of the water policy. He told me he was just doing his job. It was kind of weird though that he was doing his job on a Saturday afternoon driving around with his wife in his town issued work truck.

I went online later that night to the town's website because I hadn't seen any signs posted and found out the Sprinkler Policy went into effect 5 PM the day before. It hadn't even been 24 hrs yet! So to this day, because of that moron, I waste water if its an odd numbered day because this code monkey will come back and hand me a $100 dollar fine for a second time offense and a $200 fine and a termination of water services for a third offense.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:47 PM   #6
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinksWellWithOthers View Post
I did that one time this summer and I got a written warning because I was not watering my lawn on the designated day during the summer when my town sometimes has "water sprinkling policies". Basically if your address is an even number, you can water on even days and vice versa.

I tried explaining to the guy that I'm brewing and I'd just have to dump it down the drain then and would be wasting water which is kind of the whole purpose of the water policy. He told me he was just doing his job. It was kind of weird though that he was doing his job on a Saturday afternoon driving around with his wife in his town issued work truck.

I went online later that night to the town's website because I hadn't seen any signs posted and found out the Sprinkler Policy went into effect 5 PM the day before. It hadn't even been 24 hrs yet! So to this day, because of that moron, I waste water if its an odd numbered day because this code monkey will come back and hand me a $100 dollar fine for a second time offense and a $200 fine and a termination of water services for a third offense.
So now you can only brew on even days.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #7
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2245 Times on 1603 Posts
Likes Given: 1230

What morons. To keep you from wasting water, you have to waste water...

Old 09-09-2008, 04:22 PM   #8
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I think if you really don't want to waste water you need to really commit and brew continually, just use the water from your chiller in your next batch, the rest of the water can then be used to water hops and barley

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 09-09-2008, 06:39 PM   #9
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Why don't you write to them.
When they reply with a foolish answer then send it to the local paper and show them how ungreen they are.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:44 PM   #10
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I run my chiller in the laundry room, which makes it easy for my cfc output to go right in the washer.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Quick Reply