New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Secondary fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 01:45 AM   #1
seasnan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Secondary fermentation

I'm new to brewing and a tad short on cash. I would like to try brewing a fruit beer, but a lot of the recipes I'm finding call for a secondary fermenter. Could I siphon my beer from my primary (6 gallon carboy) to a bottling bucket, cover, clean and resanitize my primary and refill it for use as a secondary? This would be a temporary fix until I can get another carboy or a fermenting bucket.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 02:41 AM   #2
BrewWNC
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The problem with moving the beer x amount of times (primary to bottling, bottling to primary/secondary-and than-secondary to bottling bucket and bottling bucket to bottle/keg) is the possibility of oxidization and contamination. Some think oxidation is impossible at the homebrew level but this remains debate-able. But the increased risk of contamination is a serious concern.

However, you plan would work. As long as you are safe.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:12 AM   #3
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 567 Times on 500 Posts
Likes Given: 500

If you have a Lowes nearby, they carry 5-gallon food grade white plastic buckets and lids in the paint dept. Very inexpensive.

Quick Reply