Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Secondary in a Corny, serve or rack to new keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2010, 12:56 AM   #1
promontory
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Secondary in a Corny, serve or rack to new keg

I have a pale ale (extract) fermented, and moved to a corny for dry hopping. I keep breaking Carboy's so I figured I would start doing my secondary/aging in a corney. I bleed off the extra co2 daily.

Anyway the question is should I carb it and then serve it. I would expect the first pull to be all crap, or should I rack it to another keg leaving the last little bit to limit the sediment.

I used about 1 oz of hop pellets for dry hopping. I just want to make sure if I carb it from here, will the first pull really be able to clear it out? I don't want to get a bunch of garbage in the beer.....

thanks so much for all the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2010, 01:26 AM   #2
moosetav
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

did you just throw the hops in the beer or are they in a bag or tea ball or something?

Old 12-06-2010, 01:36 AM   #3
promontory
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

just threw them in. But the tea ball idea is a good one...

Old 12-06-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
promontory
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

BUMP... Sorry to bump but I want to do this tonight after work and I want to make sure I don't gunk up my Cornies... any other thoughts?

Old 12-06-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
brewdogskip
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You may want to take off the out post, remove the dip tube, and bend it a bit so you wont suck up all the scum on the bottom of the keg. I did this last night and it worked great on a dry hopped AAA. (also, make sure you bleed the pressure before removing the liquid post!)

Old 12-06-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
promontory
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

BRewdog, thanks for the idea. I'd like to limit the air exposure on this one if possible.

Would it be possible to connect the keg the co2, pressurize it, run it for a 30 seconds to get the crap out of the bottom then let it sit for 24 hours with pressure to carb it, or will I be shooting myself on the foot with the hops gunk getting stuck in the line???

The reason for my thinking of leaving it in, is that I have no way to know how far to siphon down to. I may siphon beer out then get to the bottom and get the gunk anyway. I guess if I see crap in my siphon line then I know to stop...

Just trying to make the best call here that limits the beers oxygenation.

Last edited by promontory; 12-06-2010 at 09:23 PM. Reason: more thoughts

Old 12-07-2010, 03:10 AM   #7
tomije87
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If it were me (and it's not), I'd just rack into a new keg. So long as you are careful with your tubing and making sure you purge immediately after racking, I'd be confident that it will not noticeably affect it. Others may disagree, though. If you transfer out of the diptube, you'll always risk picking up hop material.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
DrawTap88
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'd be worried about the hop material clogging up the dip tube.

+1 to racking out of your secondary corney to your serving corney using your siphon.

Fermenting: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Oatmeal Porter, Double Chocolate Chipotle Porter
Kegged: IPA, Red Rye

Old 12-07-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
promontory
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I went ahead, purged both serving keg and secondary with co2, then used my racking siphon to get it racked. The thing I don't like about it is that I wasn't sure how far down I should go.

I will bag to dry hop in the future. Is it ok to attach the bag to a string in order to be able to pull it out? A friend also said that he force racks from corny to corny. He has a jumper built using two black quick disconnects hi pulls one end off, and co2s the secondary keg, pushing beer out. He said he lets it go for a couple seconds to clear out the hop gunk then reconnects the quick disconnect, and runs the beer in.

Overall the whole thing seems a little wonky but I am working on it.Racked 2 beers, and I think I did ok.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by promontory View Post
So I went ahead, purged both serving keg and secondary with co2, then used my racking siphon to get it racked. The thing I don't like about it is that I wasn't sure how far down I should go.

I will bag to dry hop in the future. Is it ok to attach the bag to a string in order to be able to pull it out? A friend also said that he force racks from corny to corny. He has a jumper built using two black quick disconnects hi pulls one end off, and co2s the secondary keg, pushing beer out. He said he lets it go for a couple seconds to clear out the hop gunk then reconnects the quick disconnect, and runs the beer in.

Overall the whole thing seems a little wonky but I am working on it.Racked 2 beers, and I think I did ok.
In the corny, you can use bags or teaball strainers or anything you want. I never remove mine until the keg is gone so I don't use any ties to remove the dryhops, but you could use some sanitized fishing line or plastic zipties.

I jump my kegs all the time, and just posted a "how to" last night, in this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/driv...2/#post2457267 I don't do it for dryhopping, but to have a sediment-free keg for traveling.

Quick Reply