New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Secondary Additions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2008, 06:41 PM   #1
brewyourown4life
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Secondary Additions

i'm going to brew a Wit Beer and the receipe calls for an addition of fresh orange peel in the secondary, and i'm wondering how to do this without contaminating the beer, I have never added any fruit or flavorings to the secondary so this is all new to me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
NWernBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You will get a different answer from each person you ask. My suggestion is soak in vodka for a moment if you are worried. Most people, I believe, just toss it in.

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. --Frank Zappa

Old 07-02-2008, 04:03 PM   #3
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...

Recipes 

Liked 479 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewyourown4life View Post
i'm going to brew a Wit Beer and the receipe calls for an addition of fresh orange peel in the secondary, and i'm wondering how to do this without contaminating the beer, I have never added any fruit or flavorings to the secondary so this is all new to me.
I just did this last night on my "Wit The Hell Was I Thinking?" Belgian Wit.

I zested 7.5 ounces (for a 10-gallon batch). This was what I got from 6 softball sized naval oranges.

Then I placed the zest in a sauce pot with 1 cup of water (or enough to just cover the zest).

I brought it to a slight boil with the lid on and held for 5 minutes.

Removed from heat and let it sit covered for 15 minutes, then gently scooped it into the fermenter(s).

Smelled awesome. I also added two chamomile tea bags and that really had a nice floral aroma.

Boiling that zest will help release the flavor and aroma prior to adding it to your wort.

The reason for keeping it covered? If you can smell the aroma...it's escaping.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:57 PM   #4
mtbaesl
Recipes 

I just throw it right in, have never had a problem. The alcohol content at this point hinder much of anything from growing.

Quick Reply