Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Is "Secondary" Actually Worth It?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2012, 01:20 AM   #31
louie0202
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Besides in wine or mead, a secondary is just one more thing to clean.....

Some people swear by it, others don't. However if you have ****ty practices.....most likely the issue isn't caused by not having a secondary.

Primary #1: French Saison (AG), Orval Clone (AG), The Number Eight (AG), Argentine Malbec, Belgian Blonde (AG)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 02:33 AM   #32
Wynne-R
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Interesting thread. I always thought skipping secondary was just another one of those things you can get away with, but it might not be best practice. Then I see evidence from Palmer and and Jamil that secondary might actually be bad.

Here’s a couple of logs to throw on the fire:

1. It depends on the yeast. Using WLP004 I had to secondary to clear enough to bottle. You could watch it. There was a band that went top to bottom in about three days, Didn’t happen in primary.

2. Secondary is more important for bottling than keg. Kegging pretty much is secondary.

Let the flames begin!

Full disclosure, I have a pale going to bottle, tomorrow maybe, that is primary only. It’s SO4, a highly flocculent yeast. More research is required. Research is fun.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:48 AM   #33
Bulls Beers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 102 Posts

I never do a secondary anymore. With my lagers, I go from primary to keg. When I do a Kolsch or something, I leave it in the primary for a month and then right to keg to cold crash..Works great everytime...
My beers always come out clear and tasty..

Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

Quick Reply