Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Is "Secondary" Actually Worth It?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #21
KISS Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck View Post
It's simple: Try the same recipe with a secondary, and without. See which one you think works best.

I do secondaries as a matter of habit and because it works for me.

My usual schedule (for ales) is 2 weeks primary, 2 (or more) weeks secondary. I've done some secondary-less batches with a 3 week primary and it worked just fine too.

MC
I like this answer the best. I've decided on no primary for me by trying both methods and being perfectly happy with both beers. I decided a secondary was unnecessary, but do what works best for you!

Bottled:
Hoptoberfest IPA, Oktoberfest Ale, Blonde Ale, Scottish Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Edwort's Apfelwein, Janet's Brown Ale, Irish Red Ale, Strawberry Wheat, ESB, Belgian Pale Ale

KISS Brew Homebrewing Blog

Most recent post: Beyond the Pale Ale Recipe
chmarkham Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012, 02:26 AM   #22
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I haven't racked a beer to secondary in probably 3 or 4 years, and I brew 2x5 gallon batches each month. I really don't see a reason to rack beer to secondary any longer for a normal batch. Now, if you are making a fruit beer, like a lambic, then definitely rack.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:20 AM   #23
Markd27
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Monkey View Post
I never do secondary but wonder why most kit instructions call for it. If the trend is to leave the beer in the primary for a little longer prior to bottling/kegging, why haven't the kit makers followed this trend ?

ETA: I get most of my kits from Austin HomeBrew.
Most of the companies that sell the kits also sell secondary fermenters. Take that for what it's worth.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #24
ceannt
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Friends don't let friends rack to secondary .....

Old 08-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #25
BrewMeABrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidhomebrewer
I haven't racked a beer to secondary in probably 3 or 4 years, and I brew 2x5 gallon batches each month. I really don't see a reason to rack beer to secondary any longer for a normal batch. Now, if you are making a fruit beer, like a lambic, then definitely rack.
Let me add beers with extra material in the boil that is not stained out, like a pumpkin ale. Secondary is helpful here as well to let things clear without leaving bottles half full of pumpkin. I racked off p primary and left behind a little more than a gallon due to a large amount of pumpkin in the boil.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #26
ColumbusAmongus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I stopped doing secondaries a long time ago and pretty much just go 3 weeks in the primary. I don't care about clarity (even though my brews are clear) because I am not a pro brewer but I do care about quality and freshness and I feel like the average home brewer doesn't have the proper equipment to transfer beer from container to container without oxidizing it. I leave my beer in the primary pretty to avoid extra work but to mainly reduce oxidation post fermentation.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #27
zmad2000
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I do secondaries sometimes. It depends on a few different things: type of beer, empty kegs, or if i want to brew another beer. Since i only have one primary fermentor and 3 glass 2ndry's i do it out of necessity.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #28
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 215 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbusAmongus View Post
I stopped doing secondaries a long time ago and pretty much just go 3 weeks in the primary. I don't care about clarity (even though my brews are clear) because I am not a pro brewer but I do care about quality and freshness and I feel like the average home brewer doesn't have the proper equipment to transfer beer from container to container without oxidizing it. I leave my beer in the primary pretty to avoid extra work but to mainly reduce oxidation post fermentation.
Because an auto siphon is too much work? Granted im not saying your wrong about leaving in the primary, but the transferring and oxidizing scare doesnt seem warranted.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:44 AM   #29
duckmanco
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 19

No, no its not worth it.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:06 AM   #30
govner1
Raconteur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Absolutely worth it but it requires patience!
Some don't have it but it not only clarifies your beers, i.e., Brite Tank, but let's your yeast finish its job.

Quick Reply