Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Is "Secondary" Actually Worth It?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
gamoss317
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Is "Secondary" Actually Worth It?

I saw one user say that he suggests not even moving the beer to a secondary fermenter b/c it increases your risk of infection. He says to leave the beer in a single 5 or 6 gal glass carboy for 3 weeks minimum then bottle if it has reached FG. I know a secondary fermenting vessel will clear the beer up a little bit, but is it really worth it? Also...if I only use one vessel, I can make 2 beers at a time! I'm not sold on the idea. Any opinions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
krazydave
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I very rarely ever rack anything to secondary and never have issues with clarity.
The only time I will rack is if I'm going to rack on top of something like fruit or if I need to free up a larger carboy for another batch. Other than that, I'll put it in primary and leave it there until it's ready. I'll even bulk age in primary for months and have never had any issues.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

This is the most discussed topic on here, it has been readily covered. I suggest you read THIS thread, it's become the "uber discussion" on this topic thread. Every discussion, question, answer, citation, etch is in that thread....

To Secondary or Not? John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff Weigh In .

Many of us leave our beer in primary for a month minimum then bottle.....We find out beers to be clearer and better tasting.

I suggest you read that thread, and experiment for yourself, and make up your own mind.

There's thousands of threads on here already, where folks have ventured their opinions, and argued incessantly, but it ultimately comes down to what works for you......Heck this topic has come up 4 times alone already today.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

beerandloathinginaustin Likes This 
Old 07-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
HootHootHoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You've opened a can of worms. Not to be "that guy" but if you just search for "secondary fermentation neccessary" or "worth it" you'll come up with many different threads.

Regardless, I started brewing with Better Bottle plastic carboys (5 and 6 gal). I always went to a secondary. My 5 gallon suffered a crack in it, and my 6 gallon followed, so I purchased a 6 gallon glass carboy and did away with secondary fermentation. I can't say I have noticed anything bad with my beers since doing only a primary fermentation.

For ales, it's not neccessary at all. If you want to "clear" your beer, just use irish moss or whirfloc tablets. From what I read, for lagers it's absolutely neccessary

Old 07-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
KeythL
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There are opinions across the spectrum on this (and anything else related to the subject of homebrewing). I agree to a point with the person you've quoted. If your sanitation practices are sound the potential for infection are negligible and shouldn't in and of it self be the determining factor on whether or not to secondary. I see the use of a secondary as a tool, sometimes it's called for, other times it isn't. Dry hopping, late additions (fruit, etc), or recipe\styles requiring a lengthy aging (assuming no keg or desire to age in keg) would all be a reason to utilize a secondary. American, Indian Pale, English, Irish, Scottish, et al, ales...not necessary.

Keyth

Old 07-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #6
certaut
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I almost never use a secondary since I quit making jet fuel( avb 8-9%). If you control the temp and don't use crap yeast, most of the ales I do will puke for 2 or 3 days before settling down and usually by day 5, I can put on a airlock. at day 7 I will cold crash to 35°for a day or two (if you look at the beer you will see it clearing). Then I keg it, pump it up to 50psi and it's ready in about 6 hours..
p.s. I dry hop in the keg.

the brewer makes the beer, not the equipment
let the beer tell you when it is finished

Timo21 Likes This 
Old 07-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamoss317 View Post
I know a secondary fermenting vessel will clear the beer up a little bit,
I'm not picking on you at all- but how do you "know a secondary vessel will clear the beer up a little bit?" I mean, moving the beer from one vessel to another won't magically make yeast or suspended proteins fall to the bottom of the next vessel, any more than leaving it in place will. After all, that's gravity that does the work.

I guess what I'm saying is that the basically premise of moving to a clearing vessel is flawed, when you think about it.

I'm a winemaker, and in winemaking there IS a secondary fermenter, as fermentation does occur in the next vessel. Usually, a wine primary is "open" and moved to the secondary for an airlock. But in the case of making beer, typically the fermenter is airlocked from the beginning. So they are different processes, and calling the clearing vessel in beermaking a "secondary" is a misnomer. There is no "secondary fermentation" going on in most cases, and instead in a brewery the clearing vessel is called a "bright tank".

The reason breweries use a bright tank at all is so that a new batch can be started in the fermenting vessel, plus they can then drop the temperature of the bright tank to clear the beer fast. We can do the same thing, by simply sticking the fermenter in the fridge. Also, in a big brewery, the pressure exerted on the yeast of the bottom of the fermenter is considerable while most homebrewers are doing 5-10 gallon batches which don't have the same weight. That means that we don't really have to worry about the yeast cells rupturing from the pressure on them from all of the weight, so it sort of negates the need for a bright tank for that reason.

What I'm saying is that whether a beer is in the first vessel or in a clearing vessel, it won't clear any faster and there really isn't any reason to move it for most beers.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #8
KISS Brew
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
There is no "secondary fermentation" going on in most cases, and instead in a brewery the clearing vessel is called a "bright tank".
It's worth mentioning that the airlock activity that one might see after racking to a secondary is rarely, if ever, fermentation. This is a point of confusion for many.

Bottled:
Hoptoberfest IPA, Oktoberfest Ale, Blonde Ale, Scottish Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Edwort's Apfelwein, Janet's Brown Ale, Irish Red Ale, Strawberry Wheat, ESB, Belgian Pale Ale

KISS Brew Homebrewing Blog

Most recent post: Beyond the Pale Ale Recipe

Old 07-26-2012, 12:58 AM   #9
AR-Josh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

To me, secondary only helps with clarity. It gets rid of the layer of yeast and trub at the bottom. That helps clarity when you dont have that thick layer at the bottom. My opinion.

Aim small miss small.

chmarkham Likes This 
Old 07-26-2012, 06:23 AM   #10
duckredbeard
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 33 Posts

Before I started kegging I would do a secondary. Now I let it ferment out and settle. Once the top starts to clear out, I transfer to a keg and pressurize to about 15 and stick it in the fridge. After a few days I drop the pressure to just enough to pull a half pint then repressurize. I do this every couple of days until it seems the yeast is gone. Then I jack the pressure up to about 25 for 2 days, then back to 12 for a week. Works for me.

Quick Reply