seasonal spice additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefferym09

Reaction score
i was thinking of trying a seasonal recipe that involves cinnamon sticks, ginger root, and honey during the boil. just a few prep questions:

Do i just throw in the cinnamon sticks? or do i crush them? Same question for the ginger root.

The honey is supposed to be added at flame out, i have heard of flame out before, but i dont think i ever actually did it. can someone explain what "flame out" is?

Thanks

From what I've read (I've never used them myself) you just add the whole cinnamon stick. Most of the time I've seen ginger called for they're asking for candied ginger, which you can buy at most grocery stores in a somewhat granulated state. Again, add it as-is.

Flame-out is the time that you turn off the heat on your boil kettle (just before you start cooling the wort).

To get more cinnamon flavor I have found it best to crush them before adding to flame-out. With the ginger, it depends on what type you have. If it is ginger root you will want to use a potato peeler and peel the outer layer off. It is very bitter. Of course for more flavor on the ginger root itself you can always use a coarse cheese grater. Made a wonderful Christmas Ale with cinnamon, ginger root, alspice, nutmeg and sweet orange.

ok, yea from most people i asked they saidf add the cinnamon as is at flame out. the ginger i have no idea really, i heard i should slice it into thin strips, but i guess it does not matter all that much. i thought about finding orange honey becuase it seemed like it would be tasty. brewin tomorrow

I haven't used whole spices like that so I can't really comment too much on it - I usually add spices 5 minutes before flameout. I also do the Jamil method of adding 2/3 of my spices in the boil and 1/3 at packaging (although harder with a cinnamon stick). Of course, I think it might depend on what spice you're using.

Honey I've found tastes the same in the finished beer (i.e. like nothing) no matter when you add it if you're using in the boil. You do want to give it a bit of time to dissolve however and if you add while still flame-on, make sure to avoid letting it scorch like LME would if dumped right in (usually only a problem with crystallized or otherwise hardened honeys).

I add half my spices at flame out and half "dry hopped" in secondary. Cinnamon - whole sticks, one at each step; ginger - candied, 1/2 to 1 tsp each step; clove - whole, one each step; nutmeg - fresh ground, 1/2 to 1 tsp each step; orange - fresh zested, 1/2 to 1 med sized orange each step. Better to go light at first and add more in subsequent batches as needed. Have fun and happy brewing!
Honey is just another form of sugar, you won't get much flavor from it since it ferments out. I add all of my sugar additions at 15 min. for sanitation reasons.

what if i added cinnamon sticks at flame out then again in secondary? whats the difference there?

errrr ok Emergency question, i just peeled two ginger roots, one is normal yellow, the other is green. they both smell like ginger, but is the green one bad? Im boiling in like 45 mins so any response fast would be great!

jefferym09 said:
errrr ok Emergency question, i just peeled two ginger roots, one is normal yellow, the other is green. they both smell like ginger, but is the green one bad? Im boiling in like 45 mins so any response fast would be great!

Never seen green ginger root. Try a bite and compare with the other. Ginger usually dries out before going bad if ever. Maybe it's not ginger root. Im assuming you' re using fresh ginger.

It's fine. Just make sure it tastes fine and isn't really wasabi root pretending to be ginger. ;)

A little tip: Most of the spices you are using are commonly sold this time of year in mulling spice packets. I add an ounce of mulling spices at 15 minutes left on the boil for my Cranpus cranberry ale and it's very nicely spiced. Williams sonoma and world market both sell great mulling spice mixes. Cinnamon, ginger, sweet orange peel, star anise, etc..

Latest posts

Back