The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Screening and Aroma Hops (Lame pictures)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
jimbrew_jr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Screening and Aroma Hops (Lame pictures)

I just brewed my sierra celebration clone. I added about 1.5 oz of hops at flameout.

As I have done with my past two batches i screened my wort before putting it into the primary. I thought to myself, the aroma hops have only been in for 5 minutes or less, am I screening out the hop goodness I just added 5 minutes ago?

This led me to another screening question. My past two batches have been screened with a very small screen that came with my funnel. This batch I used a new screen purchased from midwest brewers that allowed alot more tiny fines into the primary. Screening with the funnel screen takes FOREVER because it pics up a very large portion of the solids. The new stainless screen worked in 3 pours like a charm.

Please give me some insight on screening out aroma hops, AND what is an appropriate amount of screening to use. I have attached some pictures of the two strainer screens.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
diptherunner
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

I use a hop spider. Saw it on this site somewhere. Might cost $10 to make. No trub at all!

image-3580965056.jpg

Old 12-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 819 Times on 575 Posts
Likes Given: 109

a lot of people don't bother to strain hops going into the fermenter

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Old 12-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd View Post
a lot of people don't bother to strain hops going into the fermenter
Right.

And when I use leaf hops now, they clog up my system without a way to keep them out. So I use either a hops spider as above, or a bazooka tube on my diptube. But that is after the wort is fully chilled, of course. so your "5 minute hops" are actually in there while the wort is cooling.

Some people actually do a "hop stand" or use "whirlpool hops", and add them at flame out and keep the wort hot for 20 minutes before chilling, or do a whirlpool with the hops in the hot wort. That maximizes the addition.

Quick Reply